Must have hosting features

proggR

What are some things that a host would need to have or offer for you to consider hosting with them? Things like PHP and MySQL are obvious choices but what are some others? I'm sure there's lots I haven't considered so feel free to mention even the most obvious things.

FTP Support (I agree with this, however it's easy enough to upload and extract a ZIP folder using cPanel)

99.99% or more uptime (I would say around 95% SERVER uptime is more realistic, make sure it doesnt say network uptime)

Unlimited Domains

Unlimited Band/Quota (Nope, this means they are overselling their servers and decieving their customers, unlimited bandwidth isnt achievable)

Unlim Mysql DB's

php5, perl, cgi, pop3, imap

cPanel < Must have for me

always read the tos, ensure you have enough band/quota to fit your needs, tbh your probably better off vit a VPS/DS as you are definately getting the band/quota you pay for and you get full control over what software you have on your server.

tbh your probably better off vit a VPS/DS as you are definately getting the band/quota you pay for and you get full control over what software you have on your server.

That's my goal actually. I want to start a small (250 clients at most if I can get that many) company specializing in vps. It wouldn't be for a long time now (I have 2 years of school left and it'd probably be sometime after that) so I'm just planning. I'm starting to rough out a simple website for it and I'm trying to think of features that I would need to add and how I can organize everything so its easy to get at the things you'll need to most often. I'm probably going to setup a really cheap dummy server to mess around with for the next few years to make sure everything works and I know exactly how to maintain everything. I'm taking programming so luckily I'll easily have a few test clients while I'm planning everything.

Keep the suggestions coming. :)

FTP Support (I agree with this, however it's easy enough to upload and extract a ZIP folder using cPanel)

99.99% or more uptime (I would say around 95% SERVER uptime is more realistic, make sure it doesnt say network uptime)

Unlimited Domains

Unlimited Band/Quota (Nope, this means they are overselling their servers and decieving their customers, unlimited bandwidth isnt achievable)

Unlim Mysql DB's

php5, perl, cgi, pop3, imap

cPanel < Must have for me

always read the tos, ensure you have enough band/quota to fit your needs, tbh your probably better off vit a VPS/DS as you are definately getting the band/quota you pay for and you get full control over what software you have on your server.

ever heard of a reliable company called bluehost.com (http://www.bluehost.com/)? servers over 800,000 domains (i have two account packages). never had a problem with uptime and companies of their size do serve unlimited bandwidth and space my man. (it's called large servers and fiber optics)

ever heard of a reliable company called bluehost.com (http://www.bluehost.com/)? servers over 800,000 domains (i have two account packages). never had a problem with uptime and companies of their size do serve unlimited bandwidth and space my man. (it's called large servers and fiber optics)

From their TOS -

BlueHost.Com's service is designed to meet the typical needs of small business and home business website Subscribers in the United States. It is NOT intended to support the sustained demand of large enterprises, internationally based businesses, or non-typical applications better suited to a dedicated server.

In most cases, a Subscriber's web site will be able to support as much traffic as the Subscriber can legitimately acquire. However, BlueHost.Com reserves the right to limit processor time, bandwidth, or processes in cases where it is necessary to prevent negatively impacting other Subscribers.

So like all "Unlimited" hosts....unlimited resources until you try to use them.

tbh your probably better off vit a VPS/DS as you are definately getting the band/quota you pay for and you get full control over what software you have on your server.

That's my goal actually. I want to start a small (250 clients at most if I can get that many) company specializing in vps. It wouldn't be for a long time now (I have 2 years of school left and it'd probably be sometime after that) so I'm just planning. I'm starting to rough out a simple website for it and I'm trying to think of features that I would need to add and how I can organize everything so its easy to get at the things you'll need to most often. I'm probably going to setup a really cheap dummy server to mess around with for the next few years to make sure everything works and I know exactly how to maintain everything. I'm taking programming so luckily I'll easily have a few test clients while I'm planning everything.

Keep the suggestions coming. :)

Personally I like my vps's to be as minimal as possible. I don't need no cpanel or any other software installed for me. Give me a base system and shell access.

Personally I like my vps's to be as minimal as possible. I don't need no cpanel or any other software installed for me. Give me a base system and shell access.

That's one thing I'm trying to address by asking. I'll have a list of things available and something similar to a wizard that you can select from a list of control panels etc. I'll recieve the order and setup the vps, or I'll create scripts to set it up for me (honestly it's probably going to be the first one for a while). If you want it simple, just don't select the other stuff. Alternatively, if you want lots of GUIs for administration, go ahead and select them. You could also, obviously add them after.

• Shell access

• 24/7 Telephone support

• Hardware, power and network redundancy

This one is what's going to hurt me for a while. When it first starts up there's no way I'll be able to afford technical support people so it will be me by my lonesome, or with one or two other people if I decide I want to have assistance, to answer calls and emails. Once I get 2 servers setup and running at about 75% capacity each I should be able to afford a 40 hour a week employee. Or perhaps I could just pay him full time pay to be on call 24/7 haha. Once I'm up to three servers at 75% capacity each then I should be able to afford someone or a couple people to be available at any time. Even at that point there would only be about 150 clients (assuming everyone got the same package, so it wouldn't work out to that few actually) so hopefully I could continue to keep my staffing needs low. Its something I'm going to have to plan more on but I've got two years to mull it over so I'm sure a solution will present itself.

Well, if you are wanting a shared spot, expect garbage, as thats what you are paying for. If your site ever moves from absoulte nothing, you will break the TOS one way or another.

I assume this topic is talking about shared (Considering people are talking about unlimited bandwidth and such which never gets advertised in dedicated servers.), so anyways, what is needed? Compare top 5 results of a "good" shared hosting company. They almost all have the same exact features. Honestly, if you want something stable, you really can't go around paying $5.

Actually, I'd just go with what your friends/pals rate other web hosting providers. I've heard of good results from someone I know from renting a spot in dreamhost.com and then I've heard of horrid results from renting a spot in gate.com, as they all offer the same exact things.

I assume this topic is talking about shared (Considering people are talking about unlimited bandwidth and such which never gets advertised in dedicated servers.)

Actually its supposed to be about vps. I'm asking as kind of a survey question because in the future I'm interested in starting a small company that offers vps packages. I wouldn't offer shared hosting. It only got mentioned because some people said they'd need unlimited everything for cheap but sadly I can't/won't be offering that so those are some clients lost :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.