Microsoft to support IE6 till 2014

nrg_alpha

Saw this on Sitepoint. Damn...  :suicide: If we're lucky, the falloff of IE 6 users will continue to the point where it won't matter much anymore by 2014. I would just hate to have to keep catering to clients who need their site viewable on IE6.

I swear that browser will go down in history as the most difficult to kill off.

The Zune Something is using IE6 as its rendering engine...

Are you referring to Zune HD? My understanding is its browser is based on IE 7 (but I could be wrong here).

Seems like it's using something called Mobile IE6, which, as far as I can tell, does not follow the version numbers of the normal IE.

The Zune Something is using IE6 as its rendering engine...

Are you referring to Zune HD? My understanding is its browser is based on IE 7 (but I could be wrong here).

Seems like it's using something called Mobile IE6, which, as far as I can tell, does not follow the version numbers of the normal IE.

Sucks to be Microsoft then  :P I have to admit, the Zune HD looks sweet.. too bad they didn't launch with that one a few years back (probably wouldn't have made much of a dent in Apple's chunk of the pie though). Is it just me, or is MS getting their act in order as of late?

Win 7 (from what I am hearing) is looking pretty good.. Bing, while it's results are not on par with Google's, still is half decent with some nice features, and IE 8 making strides towards the other browsers (but still has a way to go yet), and Zune HD (which by all accounts looks like a fine mp3 player). Are we starting to see a better MS?

Is the hardware requirements going to be heavy for it? (I have heard of complaints from some users regarding thier PCs being under powered for Vista for example).

In either case, my little laptop would probably have issues running Win 7 if this is the case.

I think the hardware requirements are actually lower. It does seem much more snappy than Vista. For regular browsing I rarely go above 50% memory usage even though Firefox is a major memory hog.

The new taskbar takes a little while getting used to though.

Another neat thing is that when you're on the Power Saver profile and are running on battery, W7 automatically turns off the glass transparency for extra battery time.

Yeah I've heard really great things about Win 7 too. Even that it makes your hardware last longer? In-fact the company I work for are so impressed with it they're planning to install Win 7 on every desktop when it's released in October / November time. That's a good few thousand desktops! I've yet to try it out myself though.

I've been using Win 7 since RC1, and I've loved every moment of it.  (I went from Vista to it though....)

Don't know if I'll be willing to pay $100 or what ever to upgrade from Vista (I got Vista within the first 3 months of it coming out, and I personally think upgrading from Vista -> 7 should be like $10 since Vista was such a rough experience for a little while haha), but I like it much better than Vista.  I might even like it more than XP....  Hrmmm....

And the taskbar Daniel mentioned is awesome.

And yeah, 7 feels much faster than Vista.

Is it just me, or is MS getting their act in order as of late?

Are we starting to see a better MS?

Maybe they're starting to worry about not being able to sell Word :).

(Kidding of course....  I'm sure MS can handle a $240m fine...  I'm actually not sure if I want the people holding the open ended XML-extension patent or MS to win....  lol)

Oh if the ruling sticks it will be enforced at least to some extent (I'm sure MS would find some way out of it...  Perhaps just buy the patent from i4i or something....).

No way the ruling will stick though.  I read through the patent the other night (and by read I mean I glanced), and it's completely retarded that that particular patent is blocking MS' sale of word.

The patent never should have been granted to i4i in my opinion....

Yeah, with regards to this whole Word thing, you would think that this would have been an issue shortly after Word launched god knows how many years ago. Seems a tad stupid imo. As Dan mentioned... so many companies / organizations use it.

It almost makes me think in regards to brand names like 'Band-Aid'.. it has become such a common word that Johnson & Johnson cannot prevent people from using it. I know this is not quite the same thing as in this case (as MS isn't trying to stop people from using 'Word' or anything). It's just that MS Word been around for so long and so heavily used, I would be pretty surprised if this whole (you cannot sell it as Word) thing was to actually hold up (so I suppose that's what I'm trying to get at). - I didn't get much sleep.. so hopefully I'm making sense.

Does anybody have a link to an article about this Word issue? I've not heard anything on it till now..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10308013-75.html?tag=mncol;txt

Follow up:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10311065-56.html

EDIT - I usually get my tech news from techmeme (obviously, there's tons of sites out there for this sort of thing).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.