PHP with IIS or Apache

Liquid Fire

One disadvantage to IIS is that you're running it on Windows. Bad-um-tish!

Nice one.

I am just trying to find some good reasons to use apache with php (on windows).  I have more experience with apache and don't really feel like learn another server, I also hear that mod rewrites are a pain in the ass with IIS.

I am just trying to find some good reasons to use apache with php (on windows).  I have more experience with apache and don't really feel like learn another server, I also hear that mod rewrites are a pain in the ass with IIS.

Technically, I guess it would be called URL rewriting under IIS, as mod_rewrite is the module that Apache uses for URL rewriting. As far as I'm aware, IIS doesn't come with a rewriting module and Microsoft doesn't supply one - A third party one has to be used via the ISAPI interface. Although this may have changed, this was the case at some point.

I have never used IIS before, so I can't really compare Apache web server to it. Although the lack of a native URL rewriting facility is enough to convince me - I use mod_rewrite on an almost daily basis. That, and I don't run any Microsoft platforms, apart from a Vista machine that we run Quickbooks on. I test under IE inside a VM.

The two biggest hurdles to IIS are.

It must run on Windows. Windows uses a multi threading architecture as opposed to the multi process architecture of Linux. This means that many php extensions (which where originally developed with Linux in mind) are not safe to run on IIS's native ISAPI. This means PHP should be installed and ran as a CGI (and now FastCGI) extension.

CGI is inherently slower than IIS's ISAPI and even more so than Apache's mod_php.

The next hurdle (as has been mentioned) is URL rewritting. IIS < 7 does not support url rewriting.

Other than that, IIS is ok. I recently starting working at a place that is all Windows based servers. I loath the entire point and click setup of IIS, but I guess I hate that about windows in general.

It must run on Windows. Windows uses a multi threading architecture as opposed to the multi process architecture of Linux. This means that many php extensions (which where originally developed with Linux in mind) are not safe to run on IIS's native ISAPI. This means PHP should be installed and ran as a CGI (and now FastCGI) extension.

Does this mean I would suffer the same issue if running Apache and PHP under Windows?

I loath the entire point and click setup of IIS, but I guess I hate that about windows in general.

Actually, you can fully administrate an IIS server using the command line. The commands aren't exactly straightforward to remember though.

Yeah, but there doesn't seem to be much documentation around for IIS < 7. I think with 7 they are trying to really make a push toward scriptable solutions. What with power shell being included with server 2008 by default. I still think they've along way to go though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.