Microsoft and HTML 5

nrg_alpha

Seems like Microsoft has finally started participating in discussions involving the HTML 5 specifications.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/ie-program-manager-endorses-html-5-multimedia-tags.ars

Microsoft originally declined an invitation to join WHATWG early in the process of defining HTML 5. Microsoft's involvement has been minimal and the company has largely declined to comment on its intentions with regard to implementation. Despite this, Microsoft has adopted a handful of HTML 5 features, such as DOM Storage, and the specification itself has adopted several features that Microsoft introduced in Internet Explorer, such as the contentEditable attribute.

Bateman, a program manager in Microsoft's Internet Explorer group, became an active participant in the HTML 5 revision process last month. He posted messages to the official W3C mailing list to articulate Microsoft's views on key components of HTML 5.

"As part of our planning for future work, the IE team is reviewing the current editor's draft of the HTML5 spec and gathering our thoughts. We want to share our feedback and discuss this in the working group," Bateman wrote. "At this stage we have more questions than answers but I believe that discussing them in public is the best way to make progress."

About time.. You would think that the world's largest browser vendor would have been actively involved with HTML 5 earlier on.

Yeah if they don't adapt to HTML 5 before Windows 7 ships out then...well,  I guess they'd just have to do their usual thing and make a service pack or another damned version of Internet Explorer.

Well, since HTML 5 is still beig worked on, I wouldn't expect IE to support it just yet (I'm not sure if IE 8 supports fragments of HMTL 5 like some other browsers do, as I am using version 7 for testing stuff in IE.. so I have my doubts) Perhaps IE 9 (10 the latest)?

Yeah if they don't adapt to HTML 5 before Windows 7 ships out then...well,  I guess they'd just have to do their usual thing and make a service pack or another damned version of Internet Explorer.

True, but Windows 7 is not coming with IE in Europe - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/5514948/Microsoft-to-ship-Windows-7-without-Internet-Explorer.html

Also a hell of a lot is going to change before html 5 is ready - http://ishtml5readyyet.com/

Actually it is. They dropped dropping IE in EU.

Really? Well done microsoft. The one move you made that impressed me has now been turned around...

Doesn't really bother me, seeing as I already have about 8 browsers for testing anyway. Plus I can't imagine joe blogs with his new computer knows that he would need to get a browser installer so that he can go online before he can go online and get one :P

From http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/08/24/update-on-windows-7-in-europe.aspx

On July 24th, 2009 – we announced a new proposal to the European Commission address competition concerns regarding the Windows OS and Internet Explorer web browser.

Under this new proposal, customers in Europe who buy a new Windows PC with Internet Explorer set as their default browser would be shown a “ballot screen.” Through this ballot screen, people can easily download and install the browser of their choice from the web.

They got around it by adding a "ballot screen".  :shrug:

They got around it by adding a "ballot screen".

When Google's OS hit, I wonder if they'll be forced to do something similar in Europe (perhaps given they are not the majority in the browser market share, they might not have to - yet).

They won't. Special rules apply to monopolies and Google does not have a monopoly on neither the OS nor browser market. Under EU law, no monopoly in one market may be used to force or help a monopoly in a different market. That's also why Apple is allowed to ship Safari with OS X. You may call it a stupid law, but it's a law nonetheless.

From http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/08/24/update-on-windows-7-in-europe.aspx

On July 24th, 2009 – we announced a new proposal to the European Commission address competition concerns regarding the Windows OS and Internet Explorer web browser.

Under this new proposal, customers in Europe who buy a new Windows PC with Internet Explorer set as their default browser would be shown a “ballot screen.” Through this ballot screen, people can easily download and install the browser of their choice from the web.

Quite clever on Microsoft's part.

Quite clever on Microsoft's part.

If you think that's clever, just wait till windows 8 ships with the 2012 US presidential ballots! You can vote for the next prez while registering your copy of Win 8 as well as choosing which browser you want to install.. oh wait, that ballot is for Europe.. never mind  ;)

Hmmm.. Is MS skewing this 'ballot' system in their favor?

Selecting another browser requires "the user to confirm and answer threatening and confusing warnings and questions," the group's lawyer, Thomas Vinje of Clifford Chance LLP, told the WSJ. "Microsoft has cunningly found a way to accept the commission's suggestion of a ballot screen, but to do so in a way that will be entirely ineffective."

Found in the link above:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176956.asp - Mozilla wants clarification on Europe browser ballot

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.