Show all posts since last visit.

My usual method of entry into the forums is via the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. This gives me a really nice list of threads/posts to browse over and see what catches my eye.

Very often, threads do catch my eye and I dive right into them (in a new tab). As soon as that happens it is recorded as "seen".  Now, I may read the thread and either post a reply or decide not to do so then will close the tab and continue on elsewhere. The problem is when I come back to the site some time later, or just refresh the "show unread posts" page to see new content, that thread that I'd seen is disappeared (well duh, it has been seen!) unless a new post has popped up (again, duh).  Now this is absolutely fine and expected behaviour from a link entitled "Show unread posts since your last visit".

However, I'd much, much rather be able to "Show all posts since last visit" (perhaps with some differentiation visually between seen/unseen).  That gives me a chance to go back to a topic that might have been interesting but didn't warrant a thorough read or time to spend commenting on the first view. 

Is this sort of searching actually available right now and I'm just being completely dense and missing a link somewhere? 

P.S. Long winded post for a very basic question. Sorry!  :-[

Unfortunately, the software we are using is lacking proper ways of tracking topics (in my opinion). There is "Show new replies to your posts", but that only does what it says. It also doesn't allow you to remove topics you are no longer interested in, and it doesn't show topics that don't have new replies. That is more or less the same with "Show unread posts since last visit".

What I miss is a feature that allows you to subscribe to a topic (with or without email notifications) and have a kind of custom topic listing that shows these. Other forums have that, but unfortunately not SMF.

We installed a bookmark modification, but it's not exactly ideal either.

It also doesn't allow you to remove topics you are no longer interested in...

Wags angry finger at SMF. I must say, an unsubscribe feature would be reeeealy nice somethimes.. once a thread goes to hell in a handbasket, it gets annoying having to see that thread keep poping up in my 'Show new replies to your posts'.  :facewall:

Damn you, SMF... damn you to hell.

What I miss is a feature that allows you to subscribe to a topic (with or without email notifications) and have a kind of custom topic listing that shows these

Well technically - SMF has this, but it isn't per-topic basis (like we'd all like). I can "watch" a topic, For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of: Replies and moderation, Moderation only if I started the topic, Only replies, Nothing at all. I'd say that pretty well fits your guidelines.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.