IE 9 only 3 weeks old, and already increases acid test 3 results

nrg_alpha

Hehe.. Seems like version 9 is already making some improvements. Obviously it has ways to go before being complete (will be interesting to see if it finally catches up to the others more or less). Apparently, it will support HTML 5, CSS 3 and also include an increase in javascript performance:

http://geeksmack.net/microsoft/822-internet-explorer-9-announced-demoed-at-pdc-2009.html

Will be interesting to see if it [iE 9] closes the gap enough to stop the bleeding of users defecting to other browsers.

While it's good to see that it's improving, I'm not overly impressed. It's still way behind its competition, and the competition keeps going on as well. It's not like they'll wait for IE to catch up. By the time IE9 is released FF, Opera, Chrome etc. will also have released new versions.

While it's good to see that it's improving, I'm not overly impressed. It's still way behind its competition, and the competition keeps going on as well. It's not like they'll wait for IE to catch up. By the time IE9 is released FF, Opera, Chrome etc. will also have released new versions.

Right. No disagreements there. While the improvements are not impressive, it still is in extremely early stages of development (granted, many can argue that IE should by all counts already be on par - if not better than the others by now  :P , but I digress). I'm just glad to see that HTML 5 and CSS 3 will be supported (as far as I'm concerned, MS really can't afford to keep dropping the ball too often in the 'lack of supporting emerging web technologies' department). As you mentioned, the competition isn't standing still either.

Will be interesting to see how IE 9 ultimately emerges (I don't forsee myself giving up Chrome/FF anytime soon though).

They're already working on IE 9?  Man, they've been pumping out IE versions lately.

I suspect the reasoning is to do rapid security and standard compliant incremental improvements (at least, that's my guess.. perhaps if they waited too long between iterations with larger improvements, more and more people would dump IE in the interim).

Additional improvements include using hardware acceleration (demo in the video):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10400638-264.html?tag=rtcol;inTheNewsNow

Pardon my ignorance, in advance...

The thing I don't understand with companies like Microsoft, is, they have a shit ton of money and they can't produce a browser that's up to standard... Just hire some kick-ass developers, and pay them until it's brilliant. Likewise with Google, spend some of your billions on some decent graphic/UI designers...

How is revenue generated in the browser market? Do they make any money? What's keeping Microsoft playing the browser game? Can't they just drop IE and ship FireFox with Windows or something?

Can't they just drop IE and ship FireFox with Windows or something?

I couldn't agree more.  It seems they only really keep IE around as a portal for Windows Updates when they could just drop the internet browsing experience completely from IE and turn it strictly into an Updater app as they so discreetly try to do anyway.  I believe their fear of new technologies comes from the possible fallacies there that may allow people to bypass the Windows Genuine checks and such. 

Which, in all reality, is just going to happen anyway.

It seems they only really keep IE around as a portal for Windows Updates when they could just drop the internet browsing experience completely from IE and turn it strictly into an Updater app as they so discreetly try to do anyway.

Maybe it's time for you to upgrade your OS. Windows has had a desktop application for Windows update since Windows Vista which became RTM about three years ago.

You're not seeing the bigger picture.  What about corporate environment and educational institutions that need to moderate the browser via group policy through Active Directory.  I can't see a major OS not shipping with their own browser.  At least Microsoft stopped trying to make their browser for other platforms, but Apple felt the need to send the Safari browser to windows. 

I don't use IE, but the newer versions are not that bad.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.