Using 2 servers maybe?

asmith

Hi,

atm I'm using one of these shared hosting that gives you tons of GB storage and I'm about to move to a VPS.

I have a growing database of files, and I'm about to fill 1 GB per 2 months. The VPS I'm moving to is offering me 16 GB overall while my shared hosting is giving me more than 500 GB.

I was wondering to keep my shared hosting and use it to store my database of files. I wanted to know if anyone here has done something similar, or is there any better option I'm forgetting?

Any idea is greatly appreciated :)

(Will be paying 20$/month for VPS and 7$/month for the shared. With 30$/month I could get 24 GB for the VPS)

ok, thanks.

Another thing,

Lets say on the shared hosting I have this download script:

shared.site/download.php?id=213

when a user click on the download link on the vps site:

vps.site/download.php?id=213

the script update database:

update table set downloaded = downloaded + 1 where id = 213

then how to use the shared script but the user does'nt understand that his download is actually from other site?

header('location: shared.site/download.php?id=213');

or should I first download the file to the vps server then send it to the user?

Huge amount of GB can be a pain to move from a shared host. Moving large files sucks up all the CPU.  I know, becuase I have moved from one dedicated server to anther its a long process of gzipping and transfering and make the server slow as hell, sometimes the server would jsut crash, then I would have to restart it all, and shut off apache and everything to get every bit of CPU and RAM on the server to move the data without crashing.

I guess if you want a No-hassle move in the future I would get a VPS.

I have a growing database of files, and I'm about to fill 1 GB per 2 months

It makes sense to store these on a separate server to your database and website files, and access them from a different url i.e

main website: www.xyz.com

This is also better for you usage stats as people tend to hotlink images.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.