Inviting website critique on my latest project

gabs

Hi Every one,  a while ago I wanted to sell some second hand domian names, I found that domain name companies ask alot for it and want you to jump through hoops that I could not be bothered to do. SO I started this website called www.letlay.com. Where I ask only a $1 per website for sell lising submission. Firstly I want to promote it (offcourse) but I really would want some advice on a few things.

First general user journey, look and feel. 2. Content, I use articles and images as content on the website to hopefully bolster it a bit for the search engines. Also the general business idea. The ideas is to let your domain name lay untill it sells. Thus www.letlay.com!

This is not a bad start to a website design, but it needs a lot of improvements.

One improvement would be the footer, as people have mentioned above this post. You could maybe have a separate page for those links. The text in the footer is hard to read. This is mainly due to the fact you have used white text on a light grey background, making it hard to read. I would also suggest removing the 'Register Here' and 'click here to login' in the footer.

Typography is another issue with the design. This is due to you using 'Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif' for all of the text within the website, apart from the logo. Mix it up a bit. Use one font for headings, and another for the main body text. as most professional designs only use about two or three different fonts.

One more thing to point out is the resolution of which your design is in. I am viewing the website on a 1024x768 screen, and I have to scroll to the left to see the boxes on the right hand side of the page. All of the page should at least be visible in all resolutions.

Alignment is another issue within the design. Many of your elements do not line up with the other elements in which they are supposed to, making for inconsistent spacing and alignment. Spacing and alignment are key to allowing your audience to view the content on the site quickly and efficiently.

Your header runs out before reaching the end of the page. You can easily create an expandle header by having the gradient background repeat horizontally and then place the logo over it. You can then move the quick login onto it to allow it have a more professional feel.

There are many more things that I would like to point out, but I do not have time to. I hope that these points will get you started in the meantime.

I hope this has helped in some way.

Love the site, looks proffesional.

I agree with the footer things, needs replacing and I would make the bottom margin bigger on the middle section e.g. Pay pal intergration, Baby website software... The blue links look like they may link to other dodgy websites (like ones that sell you fake things if you know what I mean). Other than that its great. Very clear and easy to use.

PS. I'm viewing in firefox at 1280x800

It has a professional look to it, but you should definitely make some changes to the navigation and footer areas.

I strongly disagree with that statement. The website is anything but professional to me. It's not just the footer and navigation that needs work... it's everything. The logo uses an unprofessional font. It's too square-like and it is a little difficult to read. The domain is really cool but you don't use it too your advantage in your logo. Let lay should be "stuck" or "not moving" - what does a bird have to do with it? Maybe your logo idea was a little bit far-fetched for the simple minded folks on the internet.

the curves on the blue border headings are not smooth. You did not smooth the pix elated image out. I recommend you do this because it is noticeable. The border around the content should go around all four sides. The bottom side of the content does not have a border. You aren't using enough of indents into your paragraphs. Consider adding it to add the text a little bit more padding.

The four main boxes that showcase your products have all of their heights fixed. Although the fixed height is noticeable, the consistent height does little to add professionalism to the webpage, as there is no padding where the description spans across three lines. I recommend making the height auto-adjusted, and make the background you have repeating only stretch to a portion of the box and then have the plain white background see through.

You should add some margin-top space to the first box that reads "paypal pro integration."

Overall, it's not too bad, but I'm not getting that "professional" vibe when I see. There is a lot of work you need to do and with a little work you could get your website looking great.

• 6 months later...

Hi, ok. I will take those critics on board, I have done another website, called www.kayakayak.co.uk. I didn't try and make the site as prophesional as possilbe, but just a plain easy, e-commerce site. I was wondering what do you guys think of the first page as it opens, it has a big image, then as the page reloads, the image goes much smaller?

Regards

Hi, ok. I will take those critics on board, I have done another website, called www.kayakayak.co.uk. I didn't try and make the site as prophesional as possilbe, but just a plain easy, e-commerce site. I was wondering what do you guys think of the first page as it opens, it has a big image, then as the page reloads, the image goes much smaller?

Regards

This pretty much looks like any other site I get directed to when i type www.yhaoo.com .. or gooogle.com. So, if that was your mission you've succeeded. I just hope you understand that everyone's automatic response to this type of site is to hit the back button. So, if this is a 'real' site ... it needs a total redo.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.