Secondgrader suspended for drawing Jesus

nrg_alpha

Hah yeah, ridiculous. Though I think the father's now taking it a bit far:

Johnson told WBZ he thinks race was a factor.

"As soon as he said that that was him on this cross (sleeping) – red flag! She ran with it! Touchdown! I got 'em. I'm gonna have him evaluated, there's something wrong with this minority kid. We gotta get in his mind."

"I'm sick of using the race card, but being a black man, I feel that I'm racially discriminated, me and my child."

The blog post forgot to mention that the student had told the teacher that it was himself on the cross.

http://wbztv.com/local/taunton.cross.drawing.2.1370369.html

[pure speculation]

School knew it was in deep shit.  They decided to start lying about some details to soften the blow, knowing damn well that neither side could necessarily 'prove' the validity of those details (that's the great thing about image, isn't it?).  In frustration, dad foolishly played the race card, pretty much instantly discrediting him.  Score 1 for the school.  Will now get little more than a slap on the wrist. Teacher in question may possibly resign (not get fired). 

[/pure speculation]

I think the thing about this incident "traumatizing" the kid is BS as well. I agree with MrAdam. Small children don't care about having to stay away from school for a couple of days. Basically it's just a few days off -- neat!

Agreed.  I picture my own kids in that situation and I'm about 95% sure they would not at this point in time in their life really understand what's really going on (regardless of which side is telling the story).  I think it's funny how we are willing to call kids stupid and unaware of things when it comes to taking responsibility for shit, but make out like they are aware and capable of recognizing and being traumatized by "deeper" things like this.  Well we can't have it both ways.  What will really damage kids in the long run, is using them for our own ends, treating them differently as is most convenient for a given situation. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.