Rogue Agent...

cags

I have a process called agent.exe that keeps getting stuck on 40%+ CPU usage (but oddly seems to use less than 1MB of RAM) and thus causes my computer to lag. I've looked up the process name on Google and apparently there are several different applications that use a thread under this name. How do I work out which one is launching it? I'm currently just closing it, without any perceptual adverse effect but it's bugging me that it keeps re-launching.

Its just a software update agent that runs periodically. Just go through your apps like apple quicktime and make sure you take any checks out of boxes that say, 'automatically check for updates'

I would also launch msconfig and look through your startup programs. Remove checks from any that you dont know what they are. Background startup apps usually slow shit down.

I must admit avg is getting ridiculous, it's currently got no less than 8 processes running.

Is it the free one? Maybe time to get a better AV or tweak the settings, turn all the shit off that you dont need. I use Kaspersky which doesn't cause any problems. It warns when I need to update it so I just set it off when I go for lunch or whatever.

I must admit avg is getting ridiculous, it's currently got no less than 8 processes running.

Starting more processes isn't necessarily bad. If you start Google Chrome and open 10 tabs, you'll likely be running 11 Chrome processes.

True, but I can easily close the Chrome processes, whereas the avg ones seems to act as a mesh network, each time you try to close one, another process relaunches it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.