Corporate Websites

xf220

They probably use a bloated CMS that doesn't care what the end result code is as long as it looks right in the end. And as for being 'coded' it is probably done by somebody who just uses a wysiwyg editor, or drop someone else's code in there. That's been my experiences at least ;)

Im playing with the idea of buying dream weaver.

The citigroup site uses some hacked up scripts, which I find ironic!

/***********************************************
* Featured Content Slider- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for this script and 100s more
***********************************************/

They may use a cheap CMS, but the developer of that site sure didn't know how to code some of it, so he relied on other scripts. A lot of these sites I see are just mixes of an expensive(or large) CMS or a whipup of what a web designer, maybe even a single one.

Dreamweaver, I don't get why you should buy something like so, Netbeans and much others are free and do pretty much the same, it's not so worth it to get something like that.

[ot]I like the look of http://e107.org 's cms. Low memory usage and it's very featureful (not like 10000mbs that joomla is).[/ot]

I was looking at Dream Weaver because I thought it would be like a WYSIWYG editor.

It is in what is called 'design view'. A bit like a desktop publishing application where you can drop images into a page or move text about, etc. Dreamweaver will create the HTML / XHTML for you. However, this is really for web designers. If you are a developer / programmer then you will be spending your time in the 'coder view' where you will work with raw programming code. The design view is not useful for a developer, at least, not me anyway. I use Dreamweaver CS4 and it is a great tool for both developer and designer. The other applications like Neatbeans or Zend Studio that are mentioned on this site are for the pure developer, not designers.

When you hear thing mentioned above like CMS or Drupal. These are not desktop applications i.e you dont install them on your mac or copy of windows. They are scripts that are placed on your webserver and will manage all the content on your website (CMS: Content Management System). Like all applications they have limits to what they can do in terms of adding functionality to your website. Dreamweaver is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). You could build a CMS like Drupal using it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.