my internet connection cannot access a site

ayok

Hi,

I have a strange experience. I'm working on a site, and one day I cannot access the site (www) and the ftp. The strange thing is, I can open it in other place and a friend can open it in other city. In conclusion, only the internet connection at my place cannot access de site!

What's happened? How can I fix it? What should I do??? :shrug:

ayok

I'm in holland, so I don't know if there is such an internet filter.. I think it's not the browser, cos I've tested with all my browser. I was working on it and getting a javascript error. After that I cannot access the site. I'll check the anti virus.

I ran into this problem back when I was first learning AJAX and had some poorly written code.  In short, the script was querying the server too much and my host would temp ban the users IP.  So if you're on shared hosting, make sure you're not making too many connections too fast.

This will be a DNS issue. Go to a command prompt and ping the domain. If it is not resolving to an ip address I suggest you use alternate DNS servers. You could also try rebooting your router and you will be issued with dynamic DNS. Make sure that the DNS ip you are using on your pc is that of the router.

Thanks all. It's solved. I don't know how, maybe because the owner has reported to the hosting company. But I still don't understand how it happened.

It has nothing to do with the hosting company. It was local to you as your friends could access the site. As I stated it was a DNS issue. Your ISP provides you with DNS servers. If them DNS servers cannot resolve the domain name to an IP address you are unable to view the website, FTP using the domain name, etc. All that has happened is that the DNS records for your domain have propegated to your ISPs DNS servers, now you can access the domain.  If DNS records are changed it can take a while for them to be updated around the Internet. This is why your friends who use different ISPs might be able to view the website but you cannot. DNS is a fundamental part of how the Internet works.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.