I would like to goto college for programming?

Sandwhich

Why not a computer science degree?

Computer science is not about programming. Look for some sort of software engineering program if you want to do programming.

Have a look at the course listing on your local university/college and see what they offer.

We'll I don't know all the things I can do but I enjoy programming,running websites,gfx("graphics"),speaking,servers,tech  What could I possible do for a career with these interest? Thank you

Plenty, have a browse through job search websites.

Games developer

Web developer / designer

Network Engineer

PC Technical Support

Systems Analyst

Software Engineer

Computer science is not about programming. Look for some sort of software engineering program if you want to do programming.

Have a look at the course listing on your local university/college and see what they offer.

My university only had one major called 'Computer Science' that spanned everything from digital logic to software engineering, programing and more.

My university only had one major called 'Computer Science' that spanned everything from digital logic to software engineering, programing and more.

Same here.  CS was the software engineering degree at my university.

Same here to a degree, there were several courses, but all the courses changed were your 'Required Modules', with Computer Science or Computing Science you didn't really have any required modules so you could tailor your course to what you wanted to do within the discipline.

A lot of the posts here are referring to University courses like Computer Science, however in the original post it states College. Courses at college differ from courses at a University as you are working to degree level in uni.

I suppose the 2 do overlap in some cases but the graduates who I have taken on who did a degree in Computer Science did not cover the same subjects as when I went to college.

I got a diploma from college in Software Engineering (long time ago). This was purely programming and application design, no networking or graphics, etc, however there were additional courses available to do that stuff with photoshop & 3d studio max, etc.

Like Daniel stated you should just ask the college, speak to a representative from the IT department or have a look through the prospectus at what they offer.

I think some of the confusion stems from there not being much of a difference between a 'college' and 'university' in the US.  A place like Boston College, for instance, is actually a four-year school, where one gets their Bachelor's upon graduation (if they don't stick around for their Master's or even Ph D.).

In the US, the distinction is made between technical/community colleges/schools, which tend to be two-year, Associate's level affairs, and all the rest.

The quality of technical/community schools tend to run the gamut.  There are decent ones out there (Great Bay Community College comes to mind), and some not-so-great (Hesser, McIntosh when it was still around, Seacoast Community College).

Starting at a two-year school would probably be the best for the OP.  They focus on more job-oriented skills than the four-year schools do, and the time/money involved is low enough so that if they don't feel like it's a good fit, they can just leave with minimal effort.  Just be sure to research the local schools.  Ensure that they're actually accredited and actually give out real degrees.  Around here, a lot of schools (I use the term lightly) give out 'certificates' upon completion, which are about as useful as used toilet paper when you add it on your resume (the aforementioned Seacoast Community College is one such place).

Just IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guy's uhmm.. one more question is the job field active and big in the computer industry? Such as finding jobs right away thanks.

Depends what country you are in. The recession has definately had an impact. In the UK there has been lots of cuts in IT services.

I live in california and hope to do any job computer related.

Here's what I'd do, if I were you:

1. Decide what you WANT to do.  What do you like most in terms of computer-related activities?  What do you like the least?

2. Research your local educational options.  What schools are nearby?  Are they legit?  Do any of them have Associate's programs?

3. Combine the two.  What kind of courses are offered by the local schools?  Do they match your interests?

Ultimately, the choice is yours alone to make.  That means its up to you to do your due dilligance to make an informed decision.  That means actually figuring out what you want to do and doing the legwork to make it happen.  We can't give you any real advice if you don't even know what you'd ideally like to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.