I has a question...

EsOne

I don't think it falls into any other category.

I want to start allowing businesses to rent adspace from me on my website.

My question is how is this done?

I mean, I know getting the businesses that want to advertise is just as easy as messaging the marketing people of the company, but code side...

How are you usually paid for them. I'm guess per click, but who counts clicks, and how?

How much, and what kind of coding is needed to insert these ads?

Now, who would keep track of the clicks? Would it be the person paying for the adspace, or would it be me?

Sorry, kind of new to all of this adspace stuff.

I'm not sure how to go about going up to a company and be asked details I don't know about.

How does running them work? Like, how are they paid out? Monthly, weekly? How much do you usually see for advertising? I think I've heard somewhere that it can go higher than like 20 cents per click. Does that sound right?

Huh?

As Premiso mentioned you're best just to learn what the script you're trying to write/implement is first. If the script is simple, You'd recieve the money first from the client wishing to rent ad space, And from there the script will/SHOULD track clicking. Say "viewad.php?campain=someone&clickID=32".

As for the PPC/PPM costs you can do what you wish. All it'll simply do is take out from the maximum they gave you to publish their ad, The cost per click is up to you.

If I was to purchase ad space on your site I would want the following:

1. Daily reports on the number of clicks from each particular ad (unique clicks i.e. not the same user clicking it 100 times, click fraud).

2. Automated billing, i.e a subscription payment. You do not want users to be having to manually pay from your website.

3. The ability to modify the banners, flash ads.

4. Possibly use more than one ad in the same space and set the time period for each to be used

5. Access to the traffic stats for the website. Nobody is going to rent ad space if your site gets little traffic.

If I was to purchase ad space on your site I would want the following:

1. Daily reports on the number of clicks from each particular ad (unique clicks i.e. not the same user clicking it 100 times, click fraud).

2. Automated billing, i.e a subscription payment. You do not want users to be having to manually pay from your website.

3. The ability to modify the banners, flash ads.

4. Possibly use more than one ad in the same space and set the time period for each to be used

5. Access to the traffic stats for the website. Nobody is going to rent ad space if your site gets little traffic.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, so could you expand on this a bit?  Where would advertiser money be saved?  How would subscriptions work - so many clicks per bulk payment (as in, "$100 for 10,000 clicks" (numbers pulled from my ass))?  Modify the ads how?

I'm in the same boat as the OP, so could you expand on this a bit?  Where would advertiser money be saved?  How would subscriptions work - so many clicks per bulk payment (as in, "$100 for 10,000 clicks" (numbers pulled from my ass))?  Modify the ads how?

The advertiser is paying you for the space so firstly you need a price model. You also need a payment gateway i.e Paypal to take payment. Paypal also supports subscription payments so if I pay for a 6 month initial adspace, after the 6 months is up there is an automated subscription reminder sent to the advertiser to make another payment. If the payment is or is not made then the website is notified automatically and will either continue the ad period or remove it from the website.

The payment model that you are relating to is a PPC like Google Adsense. If you are going to charge per click then this is more complex as you will need an auction system like Google so users can bid for click price. If you were to charge a set price for an ad on a certain page in a certain position then this is more simple.

You really need to sit down and think about your advertising pricing model and how to build a system around it. The most important part is providing statistics for the advertisers, invoicing and payments.

When I say modify the ads, lets say I am advertising Nike trainers and I have paid for a banner space on your website for 6 months. I may not just want the same banner showing for 6 months as I may have a new product come out every month, so being able to login to my ad account and uploading a different banner that will link to a different product page on my website is essential. Also, if you are providing text ads then I may want to change the text at some point.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.