What just happened the last 24 hours?

Ouch. Looks like someone needs to install some software to prevent this kind of thing happening again. Apache having a fit can happen at any time and it would be best if a recovery was automated (there are tools to do this) or at least have someone(s) notified quickly of problems who can come and give it a kick.  24 hours of downtime is ridiculous in this day and age!

P.S. Good to see the site back up, however. :)

Ouch. Looks like someone needs to install some software to prevent this kind of thing happening again. Apache having a fit can happen at any time and it would be best if a recovery was automated (there are tools to do this) or at least have someone(s) notified quickly of problems who can come and give it a kick.  24 hours of downtime is ridiculous in this day and age!

I think Eric stores his email in /dev/null though :P

Where is this 'Eric' don't really see him participate within the forums?

He probably considers any electronic mail junk :)

Yeah. It could be the apache server again, however.. about 3 hours after it went down.. going onto the forums displayed that it couldn't be connected to the database. The rest of the site, besides the forums, were just "blank"..

I was gutted, twice in like 2/3 days. This cant keep happening! >.<

Yeah. It could be the apache server again, however.. about 3 hours after it went down.. going onto the forums displayed that it couldn't be connected to the database. The rest of the site, besides the forums, were just "blank"..

I was gutted, twice in like 2/3 days. This cant keep happening! >.<

Or what? It's a free service.

It'll annoy people, and then alot of people won't bother using the service if they can't get any help?

If people expect ANYTHING in terms of reliability from a FREE service, they're fooling themselves. It's an illusion.  Gmail can turn off tomorrow, delete all of your e-mail, not tell you, and it's your fault, not theirs.

If people expect ANYTHING in terms of reliability from a FREE service, they're fooling themselves. It's an illusion.  Gmail can turn off tomorrow, delete all of your e-mail, not tell you, and it's your fault, not theirs.

I see your point, but most services, if not all.. want their users/customers to be happy with their service :)

It'll annoy people, and then alot of people won't bother using the service if they can't get any help?

Well if Gmail did close tomorrow they would be up for a lot of legal costs as part of the gmail contract is that they will provide 99.5% uptime and if they break that contract a lot of people would sue google. As it is people almost sued google when did went down for a few hours but google argued because it only effected 25% of the customers therefore they could be down 4 times the time mentioned on the contract. Lucky <blank>

Also what is with the IRC. I can't seem to access the IRC. Was this a result of the same server crash that took down the phpfreaks website because IRC isn't working even the web client just shows a 404? Sorry if I hijacked a post but I believe it is part of the same problem.

Also what is with the IRC. I can't seem to access the IRC. Was this a result of the same server crash that took down the phpfreaks website because IRC isn't working even the web client just shows a 404? Sorry if I hijacked a post but I believe it is part of the same problem.

It is probably related to the other issues on the server. As for when/if it will get fixed, who knows. Those in charge seem to do their best to not give a hoot.

4. Provision of the Services by Google

4.1 [...]

4.2 Google is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible experience for its users. You acknowledge and agree that the form and nature of the Services which Google provides may change from time to time without prior notice to you.

4.3 As part of this continuing innovation, you acknowledge and agree that Google may stop (permanently or temporarily) providing the Services (or any features within the Services) to you or to users generally at Google’s sole discretion, without prior notice to you. You may stop using the Services at any time. You do not need to specifically inform Google when you stop using the Services.

4.4 You acknowledge and agree that if Google disables access to your account, you may be prevented from accessing the Services, your account details or any files or other content which is contained in your account.

The IRC server doesn't start automatically on boot. The only person left who has access to the server is Eric. Don't expect it to come online for a while.

Well if Gmail did close tomorrow they would be up for a lot of legal costs as part of the gmail contract is that they will provide 99.5% uptime and if they break that contract a lot of people would sue google. As it is people almost sued google when did went down for a few hours but google argued because it only effected 25% of the customers therefore they could be down 4 times the time mentioned on the contract. Lucky <blank>

See Mchl's post -- Google owes nothing to anyone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.