Laptop Stopped Charging

The Little Guy

My laptop stop charging last night, and I can't get it to start charging again. I have changed outlets, so I know there  is power that "could" be going to it. Any who... What is a probable cause? Could the cord be bad? Could the battery be bad? Could the port on the computer be bad? I know it could be any one of these things, but what is most common?

What could be causing it not to charge?

Thanks!

- Ryan

Same thing happened to my friends laptop, in his case it was his power cord, he needed to buy another one. Luckily in his case he was able to use a friend's cord to see if it was the source of the problem. So it could be that, you'd need to test it.

By the way, do you use your laptop often while plugged in? If laptop is fully charged it's a bad idea to keep it plugged in, it could lead to issues like this. Instead you should remove the battery if you're just going to use it while plugged in.

Could be a charger (inclluding damaged cord), a dead battery or damaged charging circuit on mainboard (pray it's not this one). I lived through damaged charger and dead battery already.

If it's a broken charger it's easy to find out. Once your battery runs out completely, we won't be hearing from you until you get a new one. ;) If however your laptop runs fine when charger is plugged in, it would suggest a dead battery.

I don't know if this was the cause, but I set down the computer on the table (back end first, which is where the battery and plug is located), and that is when it seemed it decided to stop charging.

Could I take the computer to batteries plus, and have them maybe test it, because I don't have any thing to test if it is the cord or not.

Once your battery runs out completely, we won't be hearing from you until you get a new one. ;) If however your laptop runs fine when charger is plugged in, it would suggest a dead battery.

My issue, with my old acer was the pin in the middle of the socket, on the mobo. You say it charges when you put it on it's back? I'd try wiggling, or wedging something under the plug, right up against the computer to see if that allows it to charge. If so, it is probably a loose or bad pin. I picked one up for under a buck on ebay, and soldered it to the mobo in a couple of minutes. Of course this is no small feat if you've not done this before, so it may be best if you have someone look at it, if you try another charger and it still doesn't work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.