Smarty 3 is HERE!

dreamwest

Just wanted everyone to know the awesome smarty 3 is now available

No more {literal} tags around javascript AND selective {nocache} tags to enable dynamic content even on cached pages

I must say its very groovy baby!

http://www.smarty.net/download.php

http://www.smarty.net/do_download.php?download_file=Smarty-3.0rc3.zip

To quote Rasmus, "PHP is a template engine, so why would you build one for it?"

"C is a programming language, so why would you write a new one using C?"

Source: Nobody, I made it up. It happens to be a non sequitur like the quote from Rasmus though.

Just think about all the fun your missing out on by learning another language.

I would hardly call it a language.

This debate has gone on and on in numerous posts. I still stick to my guns. Template engines add overhead and are not for everyone. However, Smarty makes my life so much easier working with a team of web designers. Through the Smarty debug mode they can easily see what template a particular page is using and style it up accordingly. If the HTML is embedded in php files & functions they will break the code 9 out of 10 times as they are not programmers. Also when passing a project over for CSS work and the likes of rewritten urls are used then it is difficult for a designer to know what php file to edit and find its location. Smarty has massively reduced the time I have to spend with designers when handing base code over for CSS work.

If you work in design & development then a template engine is unneccesary. If you are a developer like myself and work with various designers then they are a benefit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.