Web Programming Education Degrees?

ShoeLace1291

I've always wanted to be a teacher, but all the traditional school subjects seem to bore me to the point where I don't want anything to do with them.  I figured I love web programming and thought it would be cool to become a web programming college professor.  You know, teach about PHP, ASP, Databases, etc.  Anyone know of any good schools that would have a degree that would prepare you for that type of thing?  Preferably in the north east?

You don't need a degree

Absolutely. You can do teacher training courses. http://www.tda.gov.uk/recruit.aspx

You will need to do things like voluntary teaching, teachers assistant work, etc.

There will be plenty of work throughout the UK in colleges, universities, sixth forms (maybe), where students will do web development as part of their qualification, HNC, HND, degree, etc.

From what I have seen interviewing graduates for jobs, the stuff they did in web development i.e with PHP was way below par. We could do with some decent teachers in this subject.

• 3 weeks later...

the stuff they did in web development i.e with PHP was way below par. We could do with some decent teachers in this subject.

I have to agree fully with you, though I dont interview people, what I have learnt beyond University has been very rewarding.

The things they didnt cover when I did Interactive Internet Systems was basic PHP stuff, not really focussing much at all on security, I am tempted to look at some of the scripts I tried using and hammering them myself, expose their flaws and try to work out a better more secure version of them.

Though in the broad way across the whole spectrum of Computers, they tend to teach you that, its all about making it your own degree, they will deliberately leave things out (probably why they didnt cover security.

I wish looking back, I could have deliberately hacked my application, then shown the tutors the old version I created and then shown a more secure version of it just to prove to them I have been working, I would have looked really good, but thats what allot of concious (excuse spelling) people who care about their education think anyways.

Its like I would go out of a presentation wishing I had explained this, this and this, planning would only go so far but there's always points I missed out, I am my own worst critic!

Good point though!

Just one more thing if I may:

Zend certification is enough for PHP

http://www.zend.com/services/certification/

That tends to cost quite allot doesnt it?

Like one course I have seen (being biased towards my University) NTI in Leeds charge about £600 for this, I will post a link to their site if anyone wants to have a look?

Really good thread though!

Ah ok of course yea!

Thanks for that.

Is there any site where I can get the same certification for maybe a bit cheaper than something like £600 then or doesnt that exist?

Just thought I would put that up, since I am thinking of taking this but lack the funds to pay for such a certification.

Thanks again,

Jez

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.