Guidelines For Working in Teams?

chaseman

I'm planning to launch a project where we'd work as a team on the project.

And I'm wondering are there any resources or guidelines for working in teams?

What would be the best way for communicating without huge miscommunication over the internet?

How to share the profit?

How do the contracts?

How to have an environment where all team members work equally on the project, and not that one guy is working like a work-horse while the other is just adding 2 lines of code?

Should we have a protocol? If yes, how would it look like?

These are situations where people start cutting each others throat and go split ways.

I'd like to have the project be a cool project but at the same time I want it to be serious and profitable and not just a fun-game-project.

Proper preparation and planning goes a long way. I'd appreciate if you have any helpful tips, books, or websites where I can gather more information about organizing this whole procedure.

Make use of a version control system with a repository such as svn or git.  Make use of a project tracker like redmine.  Between these 2 things, you will be able to assign tasks to people, see who is actually contributing what, etc...  also for communication, make use of a private forum or irc channel or invest in webex or adobe connect, where everybody can call in to one place and you can broadcast screensharing to whole group, etc...

Make use of a version control system with a repository such as svn or git.

Extremely great suggestions, thank you a lot. I didn't even think of a private forum, such a great idea. Having task software seems a must too.

Don't forget version control, vital to any project where there's multiple developers. Not only to provide an up to date branch of the code base for each developer to work on separately, but to cleanly merge in new developments as well. You should also have one developer code review another's work - this helps prevent bugs and issues later down the line, and can often lead to better quality code. Version control makes this process a lot easier too.

If You are new to al this version control thing, You should spare some time to learn about it.

You can try SVN or Git, which becomes more popular.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html

You can make also Wiki page where You can write best practises, document important things about every project. I recommend http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki. SyntaxHighlight GeSHi extension will come in handy to highlight code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.