21 replies to this topic

#1 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

As if the price, copying of Nintendo's motion-sensing technology and other various faux pas weren't enough for Sony to bury themselves, new reports inform us that Sony won't be including component cables or HDMI cables with the PS3. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that's right: Sony's PS3, guaranteeing 1080p games, singing the praises of Blu-Ray games and movies to be played in high definition, won't come with cables to allow high-def anything. To do that, you'll get to pony up some more change to purchase them. Brilliant!

News Report
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#2 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Great...... It natively supports high definition, but you just need to purchase something extra. How lame <_<

#3 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

yeah i pretty much already decided to go for the wii and stuff like this just makes me feel better about my decision.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#4 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

yeah i pretty much already decided to go for the wii and stuff like this just makes me feel better about my decision.

hear hear!
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#5 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, but since all my console games are for PS2 I would have to keep my PS2 as well if I bought another one, but with PS3 I can still play my PS2 games.

#6 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

..well what were you gonna do with your ps2? throw it away? why cant you just keep using your ps2 for your ps2 games?
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#7 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

can still get £50 (about $93) for a PS2 on ebay. not great, but if youre upgrading, every penny counts.
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#8 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

can still get £50 (about $93) for a PS2 on ebay. not great, but if youre upgrading, every penny counts.

On the other hand, I just bought a PS2 from Kohls with 2 controllers, a memory card and 4 games for $110. I traded in my GameCube a little while back, just before the big price drop, and I was able to pick up my PS2 and the 3 games I wanted for about $30-40 out of pocket. I'd much rather have a PS2 and a Wii than forfeit the Nintendo games I'd miss otherwise just to get a system that's going to keep forcing me to fork out more and more cash. The only problem is that FFXIII is going to be PS3 :(

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

#9 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

maybe if sony continues this trend of foolishness square enix will take away their FF priveleges

#10 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

maybe if sony continues this trend of foolishness square enix will take away their FF priveleges

That would rock! Give it back to Nintendo, baby! The FF series on SNES were all awesome!

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

#11 KevinM1

KevinM1
  • Moderators
  • Snarkimus Prime
  • 5,248 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

Indeed.  FFVI > all.
Using 'global' is a sign of doing it wrong

#12 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

Indeed.  FFVI > all.

Yes, FFVI is definitely worthy of greatness. I'm currently playing through it again. I'm not sure how many times I've done it now. I'm getting ready for the boss fight with Ultros in the opera house... tough fight, that one.

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

#13 KevinM1

KevinM1
  • Moderators
  • Snarkimus Prime
  • 5,248 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, that lovable octopus can be a bastard when he wants to be. ;)  It's been a while, but that part is before getting Terra back, right?

I think it's kind of strange that Square-Enix never had the villain of their other Final Fantasies win.  I mean, Kefka actually accomplished his goal, and the world was covered in darkness for over a year because of it.

Oh well...I'm just glad I can enjoy the memories by looking through my Amano artbook.  Some great designs, there.
Using 'global' is a sign of doing it wrong

#14 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Wow. If any of you are familiar with Lik-Sang.com, you'll see why this is just one more reason to boycott Sony:

http://www.lik-sang....s.php?artc=3901

I am absolutely amazed at the level to which they are stooping :P

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

#15 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/6083856.stm
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#16 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

Sony denies that its actions had anything to do with the closure of the Lik-Sang website.

lol... um... explain how that argument holds any water :P

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

#17 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

Well I will agree that they probably bought it for investigative purposes.  I mean come on, you would think that the CEOs of Sony would be able to get one for free from themselves if they wanted on for the entertainment.  On the other hand...one would think that in an 'investigation,' they would have had some peon order it, not themselves personally..

But still...that's just messed up.  And lame. "we're concerned about voltage incompatability" wtf is that? That's shady, is what that is.  I understand that Sony has this big marketing plan as far as releasing things at specific times in specific places blah blah blah but to shut down a business simply because of something like this...shady. 

And quite frankly, I don't even agree with the ruling at all.  Judge was obviously in Sony's pocket.  Once you buy something, it's yours.  You can re-sell it to whoever you want.  I think the only stipulation on that is that you can't sell it for more than the current retail price from the manufacturer or something.  That's how it is in the states, anyways.  I guess they might do it different overseas.  But that's still lame.  It shouldn't be that way. 

Instead of going around bullying people, maybe Sony should come up with a more effective marketing plan that takes into consideration the fact that people buy and sell things online worldwide.  To me, this is a case of Sony not getting with the new world trend.  Not even new. 

#18 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

IMHO, the next step would be to have an individual who visits Japan and buys a system to be required to turn in his system when he leaves the country. I mean, when I lived in that part of the world, I got games constantly from Japan before they were released in the US and sent them to friends over here. Would Sony be willing to prosecute an individual who went to Japan, bought a PS3 and decided to sell it on eBay when he got home??? What's the difference?

If you're going to complain that it's because of voltage regulations, pull your warranty from those models and keep going on your merry way. If someone wants to pay $600+ for a system that doesn't match up with voltage regulations, let 'em do it. When they fry their system, you'll get another $600+ from them when they replace it. Once again, I really see this as Sony shooting themselves in the foot :P

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

#19 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

or maybe market your crap in a fashion where everything is released at the same time, or close enough to where it doesn't matter, or where varied release dates are a non-issue, or SOMETHING. 

And instead of trying to shut someone down over it, how about making a converter and selling THAT.  Or maybe make different region products available on your OWN website and make money off that, instead of someone else doing it for you.  SOMETHING.

Seriously, Sony needs to just go ahead and commit hari kari over this shameful thing they have done.

#20 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

And instead of trying to shut someone down over it, how about making a converter and selling THAT.

That's just it. According to the company, all their systems they sold to Europe were bundled with a SONY current transformer so they would meet regulations.

<?php
{   $life->study(); } ?>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users