How to tell someone that stock images look better?

The Little Guy

If you're a contractor with no profit sharing in the company in any way, tell them "In my professional opinion, photographs taken by professional photographers are better for your website than any pictures taken with a cell phone, but it's your business."

If your profits depend directly on their profits, you have a right to fight for it.

Oh hey I know that site!

I understand the problem.  Why don't you make some screenshots of the website with her images and with yours, and then show them to her side by side.  Prove to her that cell phone pics of messy burgers aren't good.  Or tell her to hire a photographer to do a mini-studio shot of carefully prepared food, if that would help.

-Dan

Her photos are actually not bad quality wise (from what see) so whatever camera they used seems to be decent.  The presentation leaves a lot to be desired though.  The dishes need to be prepared well so they look nice.  Better lighting and angles would go a long way as well.

I'd ask why she doesn't want to use the stock images.  Could be that she wants a more personal touch on the site by showing actual dishes they make there, maybe featuring some special dishes that would be harder to find a good stock for.

Better lighting and angles would go a long way as well.

Her lighting sucks as well as the compostion of the photos and that's an understatement.

Like KingPhilip wrote, "show them", I know it can be hard but it's for their own good. To me the pictures you say they want are very bad. They're okay to send home and say this is what I ate today mom but for selling to other people, no.

Could be that she wants a more personal touch on the site by showing actual dishes they make there, maybe featuring some special dishes that would be harder to find a good stock for.

In which case, I'd push back with what Dan said:

tell her to hire a photographer to do a mini-studio shot of carefully prepared food, if that would help.

In which case, I'd push back with what Dan said:

tell her to hire a photographer to do a mini-studio shot of carefully prepared food, if that would help.

I third this. If she wants to use real representation of her dishes, she really ought to have them professionally done. It shouldn't cost that much for a few hours of a local freelance photographer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.