What are these symbols?

joe92

Right, I've glanced at them every day for the past year and have no idea what they are?

The symbols in question are:

¬    - Shift + that button above tab

¦    - Alt Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr + that button above tab

Please help me put this morbid curiosity to sleep  :pirate:

Cheers!

Joe

¬ is a negation symbol (the same as what ! does to a var in php)

¦ is the broken bar (or broken pipe) and as far as I know there really isn't a use for it. Sometimes it can be used in exchange of the pipe car ( | ), but I'm pretty sure math gurus will say nono to that.

When I hit shift+the button above tab I get ~.  Do you have a different keyboard layout than en_us?  Your profile doesn't have a location.

The ¬ symbol is used a lot in formal logic, it's the "not" symbol in logical languages like Fitch. 

I don't know of any use for "broken pipe" other than "sometimes text terminals use that instead of a real pipe so you can tell it's not a lowercase L"

Ah, thought it did have a location. I'm from the UK. I have this layout:

KB_United_Kingdom.svg

I actually also only just discovered that euro sign today too whiles experimenting with every single key combination wondering what Alt Gr actually did :happy-03:

KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg

Where's your pound symbol?!  :P

and single- and double-quotes aren't on the same key!

That's what makes it so much better! ;D Granted, as King Phillip said, our pipe and backslash key is in the most annoying place ever. But I much prefer having the @ symbol where it is. I guess it's all about what your used to though. I also enjoy having the hash and tilde as their own key above the right hand shift key, quite useful.

WTF is wrong with you people?!

Seriously, I can't even use these keyboards because the delete/home/end keys are wrong, I'd go insane if the dollar sign moved to the other side of the board.

Man, I hate those keyboards. I use the home/end buttons quite extensively while writing code. It kills me when I have to jump on a machine that doesn't have the same keyboard layout as mine.

Pft, like anybody uses any currency that isn't the US Dollar.... :P

PHP vars start with dollar signs, I type that punctuation symbol more than the period on some days.  It would destroy me to switch to a keyboard where it was moved.

Man, I hate those keyboards. I use the home/end buttons quite extensively while writing code. It kills me when I have to jump on a machine that doesn't have the same keyboard layout as mine.

Seriously, I had one of those when I started work here, I sat down, looked at it, and went to amazon.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.