Want to learn OOP? Looking for some PHP Buddies

ChemicalBliss

Want to learn OOP?

Currently Learning OOP but finding it difficult?

I'm looking for anyone who is starting out with OOP to bounce ideas with, I've been a member here for a while now helping people out (and learning ofc :P), but now I need more one to one conversation to turbo charge my ideas. Basically if you want to learn PHP OOP/OOD, or are currently learning it, or think a PHP Buddy to bounce ideas off and get help etc with would be helpful to you, then please drop a line.

I think anyone who wants to learn OOP would appreciate something like this as certain mis-conceptions can be caught before they become habits or bad practices. Also having a hard time understanding certain concepts, you can get a different view of the concept and get a better idea of it as a whole.

Thanks for taking a look :).

Hi thanks very much for the advice.

I find the killerphp and jream videos on yt very helpful. These static tutorials are great, but when coding it is better to have a friend you can get specific advice that's related to your code or design ideas.

IRC just doesn't have the personal touch, when you know someone even a little you get to understand their concepts and ideas easier.

Just lookin for a 'PHP Buddy' :P. Or Buddies ofc.

Thanks again.

LOL. All you want to do is team up. And everyone here is advicing you to read books and tutorials... Me thinks people want to increase their post count.. You can always PM me if you have any OO related issue you want to discuss. Keep in mind though that, although I may sound like one, I am not an OO expert :)

Ignace you understand me!

lol, thanks for the offer it is much appreciated, although a PM is similar to posting a topic :P. Need something a little more... practical :P.

Thanks again :).

- I'm surprised that more people havn't come forward, I would of killed for a PHP Partner/buddy to learn with when I was learning more advanced topics. Guess everyone is busy on the forums :P.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to bump :P

Just wanted to say I've had a couple of bites :).

It's good to have friends that program like you that you can contact quickly (learn and teach a lot all at the same time :P).

But, More is merrier so if anyone else is willing to Talk/Learn/Program/Teach or otherwise communicate about PHP, drop me a message and Ill give you my skype/email.

Cheers guys :).

I am always looking for people to help in projects that I am working on, whether your a beginner or a pro in OOP programming. Like ignace, I am no expert in OOP but I do write code a beginner may not understand, but it will really boost your skills learning it if your interested you can help me in one of my current projects it will/may really boost a beginners OOP skills.

If your interested PM me.

@the little guy

Don't mean to be rude but this thread is for people looking for general talk and idea sharing. I suggest you ask in the freelance forum if you want coding help with your current projects.

If you want to talk about ideas and concepts drop me a shout.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent idea. One person everyone can talk to privately to get programming advice without the disadvantages of getting opinions and fact-checking in a public arena.

Well, when you put it like that...

I encourage people to add me on Skype or MSN or whatever. I think it's good to have friends and people to talk to in the industry. The ability to talk randomly about anything 1 to 1 is great, and may help spawn ideas or creative discussion.

This is an excellent idea. One person everyone can talk to privately to get programming advice without the disadvantages of getting opinions and fact-checking in a public arena.

I encourage people to add me on Skype or MSN or whatever. I think it's good to have friends and people to talk to in the industry. The ability to talk randomly about anything 1 to 1 is great, and may help spawn ideas or creative discussion.

There's a difference between chatting with someone because they helped you before and taking some random guy on the internet as a mentor.

[edit] "random guy" isn't meant to be derogatory.

Thanks for the input :).

It has already proved quite useful, although my time is limited, I haven't been "harassed" at all from the few people I have already added and we have helped each other already. (and it was fast!).

So it's working out great at the moment and hope to gain more php buddies :). Will keep watching this thread if anyone would still like a coding buddy.

The problem is that on the most part, people think, "What can I learn from you?" as opposed to "What can we learn from each other?" and when you post a topic like this; it tells people that you want to learn and gives them the impression that you don't know your way around PHP much. Everyone's had that annoying noob that flashes the orange tab at you on windows live every 10 seconds with another 30 lines of code followed by "can you fix this for me?!!!".

I've been looking into PHP groups recently, I think me any my boss are going to go to the PHP North West (PHPNW) meetup on April 3rd, I've been told that they have a speaker on who has contributed to the PHP source, should be good.

Maybe something like that would be good for you? Just search

"PHP group " {name of your town/city}

in google and then look on freenode for their IRC channel.

Also there's already a large community out there to learn from, look at source code of open source projects on git hub or source forge, maybe even contribute to a project (remember, you're never under-qualified to work for free).

I agree with your statements that this could be misrepresented as a "Teach Me" topic.

All I can say is know who your dealing with, search my posts if you want to know how often I ask for help :P. (Not often).

But this isn't about asking for help a such, more to the effort of getting a better understanding of advanced concepts such as OOD. As stated, I am currently learning OOP for php and certain things I'm not too sure of I might ask for some clarification, whereas I can offer what I already know about OOP, and the extensive knowledge of general programming in PHP

This is a two-way thing here, help each other as you stated :).

PHP Groups yes, that is a good idea and I have used IRC chats before but it seems much like on forums, non-personal, sometimes the other person just doesn't care. And it's next to impossible to get a good relationship going with people that constantly help others.

Having a personal friend(s) you can contact is much more personal, you get the friendship that forms from getting to know each other and what each other knows.

Having a personal friend(s) you can contact is much more personal, you get the friendship that forms from getting to know each other and what each other knows.

And this is exactly what ends up happening if you hang out in irc long enough. You don't meet people in real life and say "hey, let's be friends", it's something that happens over time through conversation and just hanging out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.