How Does PHPFreaks Feel About the Hate PHP Often Gets as a Language?

Masna

I come across lots and lots of criticism across the net towards PHP and many of its axioms as well as implementations. How do you all feel about this? Do we agree that PHP, overall, is not a solid, dependable language? Do we disagree and argue that, with the right set of tools and knowledge, PHP is as good a language as any?

Some examples of the hate I often see are on phpwtf.org. Although essentially all of it is avoidable, there are some things worth discussing (I think).

PHP is solid.  It's not without shortcomings.  Unfortunately, because it's so easy to get results fast, a lot of PHP code is written horribly.  That, IMO, is the largest contributing factor of PHP's negative reputation.

I tend to agree with this. Its ease-of-use is both a blessing and a curse for the Internet as a whole.

Some examples of the hate I often see are on phpwtf.org.

I took a quick look at some of the posts on there, and I think every one of the posts I read was either shown to be correct or someone effectively said "RTFM".

haters.gif

Ditto.

As far as I am concerned, PHP is just fine for what it's primary purpose is.  Sure it's got it's quirks but most languages do.  I tend to agree that it gets a bad rap due largely to the fact that it's forgiving of mistakes which makes it easy for novices to churn out some crap code.

On the flip side of that though, it makes it much easier to create simple scripts for small/specific tasks.

The fun part about PHPWTF is that the website is written in PHP. Makes me think the owner is like:

I REALLY HATE PHP... Dumbass language... But I am not smart enough to understand pointers and this thing called garbage collection to program C :(

Choice of language is just that.. You don't like it, move on! Go program Java, boy! That said you shouldn't be limiting yourself to one language anyway.

That, IMO, is the largest contributing factor of PHP's negative reputation.

It is a big part, but I think the biggest issue is the inconsistency with the language.

I'm a mainly PHP programmer, but I can still see all of the silly inconsistencies with the language. Some function names have underscores while very similar ones do not. Some functions have "2" in the name, some have "to". Argument order is seemly random at times.

It's not a huge deal for me, I work around it. My IDE shows me hints and such so that it's not a problem. But, it still gives the language bad reputation.

I come across lots and lots of criticism across the net towards PHP and many of its axioms as well as implementations. How do you all feel about this? Do we agree that PHP, overall, is not a solid, dependable language? Do we disagree and argue that, with the right set of tools and knowledge, PHP is as good a language as any?

Some examples of the hate I often see are on phpwtf.org. Although essentially all of it is avoidable, there are some things worth discussing (I think).

I probably  don't really need to state the obvious, but considering this is a php site and we are named phpfreaks,  I suspect opinions about php will be biased towards php...

That, IMO, is the largest contributing factor of PHP's negative reputation.

It is a big part, but I think the biggest issue is the inconsistency with the language.

I'm a mainly PHP programmer, but I can still see all of the silly inconsistencies with the language. Some function names have underscores while very similar ones do not. Some functions have "2" in the name, some have "to". Argument order is seemly random at times.

It's not a huge deal for me, I work around it. My IDE shows me hints and such so that it's not a problem. But, it still gives the language bad reputation.

Oh, definitely.  It's one of those things that really shows the slapdash nature of some of the additions the language has had over time.

I probably  don't really need to state the obvious, but considering this is a php site and we are named phpfreaks,  I suspect opinions about php will be biased towards php...

You underestimate us! We can be really neutral on these subjects... For we are enlightened.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.