TYPO3 Enterprise CMS

Mahngiel

I have a repeat client that I've built several different applications for with various frameworks / pre-built CMS's.  Not by my choice, mind you, he does all sorts of endeavors and always seems to use the most obscure systems.  This past week he has come to me with a project he started with the TYPO3 system.  After hours of reading up on the system and google-ing my ass off, I've come to realize this thing may be more trouble than it's worth.  I have found many reviews raving about the system, but they all also notate that it's learning curve is dramatically steep.

Now, I'm always in favor of learning new things, but given the timesink just learning this system and their unique markup "typoscript", I'm curious if this is worthwhile. 

[*] Has anybody ever heard of this system?

[*] Have you ever used this thing?

[*] Aside from the generic educational standpoint, what is your opinion on investing the time to adequately learn this system?

Any opinions welcome.  Cheers.

Seems like a powerful CMS... no idea why they decided to create their own language/parser.

I'd only learn a new language if the client was paying for it, or I could see it being valuable in the future. I don't really see typoscript as being a valuable language to learn myself, but they claim you can get an idea of how it works in 45 minutes.

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_ts45/1.1.0/view/1/1/

If it is not something you are familiar with or can learn quickly (less than a day), I would charge more than normal rates (if you can) for having to take the time to learn the system. If that fails you could always try to convince them why X framework (which would be one that you are more comfortable with) would be better or work just as well.

I would charge more than normal rates (if you can) for having to take the time to learn the system.

Really? If I was a client and found out I was being charged more because the developer was going to need to spend time learning the technology I would be looking for another developer. there are plenty of developers around who do know typo3, why pay someone who doesn't?

there are plenty of developers around who do know typo3, why pay someone who doesn't?

This is essentially the purpose of my post.  I'm curious if somebody has put the time into this CMS to be able to suggest if it's actually a worthwhile skill (this custom markup + uncommon dev patterns) or just an obscure enterprise solution.

I'm curious if somebody has put the time into this CMS to be able to suggest if it's actually a worthwhile skill (this custom markup + uncommon dev patterns) or just an obscure enterprise solution.

First Ive got to say Ive not used typo3. I have however heard only good things about it. As for "this custom markup", and "uncommon dev patterns". I don't see the markup as being that different to something like smarty. As for the dev patterns, from all I've heard it's a pretty well orchestrated MVC framework with all the bells and whistles.

I don't see the markup as being that different to something like smarty.

It not some regex-foo saving you opening/closing tags, it's quite like MarkDown.  This is how you make a form:

10 = FIELDSET
10 {
10 = TEXTLINE
10 {
name = name
value = Enter your name here
label {
value = Name
}
}
20 = TEXTLINE
20 {
name = email
label {
value = E-Mail
}

As for the dev patterns, from all I've heard it's a pretty well orchestrated MVC framework with all the bells and whistles.

I won't deny this is  a very intelligent system.  It has many kickass features.  However, site content which uses layouts are actually designed from their in-browser editor.

TYPO3 delivers a vast amount of freedom to content editors.

ucXg.png

I would charge more than normal rates (if you can) for having to take the time to learn the system.

Really? If I was a client and found out I was being charged more because the developer was going to need to spend time learning the technology I would be looking for another developer. there are plenty of developers around who do know typo3, why pay someone who doesn't?

You don't necessarily have to increase rates if you don't want to. Maybe attach a small fee, or just bill them for the extra time it would take to learn the platform.

The point is, if the client is insistent on using a specific platform that the developer isn't familiar with, why should the developer have to eat the time? It is in the developer's best interest to work with a platform which they are very comfortable with because it would take less time to finish the task; which favors both parties in that the developer will have time for more projects and the client pays less.

I appreciate and do understand your point, scootstah.  But I'm not concerned with billing practices right now.  What I'm interested in figuring out is if this system solution is one that makes sense to learn as a freelancer / general dev, or if this thing should be left to large enterprises with vast development times. 

As I've spent the last few days browsing the docs and toying with it on local, I'm not convinced this is a worthwhile investment of my time.  I was hoping to hear from somebody "ya man! this CMS / frame is definitely worth the effort you'd put into learning it." et al.

At the very least you are learning a new tool. The next time someone comes up and wants a site built with TYPO3, you know you can do it.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you feel that you will ever use TYPO3 again after this job. If the answer is yes, then I think learning TYPO3 is beneficial to you.

I don't think any of us can answer that for you.

Is it a system that interests you? Would you like to work with it again? Would you pick that system for future clients based on some of the features of the system, or because of how the system handles certain things vs other CMS?

If you agreed to the increased rates, why not? I have a few clients I bill outrageous rates for because I don't really want them as a client, but it's not worth it to fire them yet. They know the rate, they could hire someone cheaper.

I have a few clients I bill outrageous rates for because I don't really want them as a client, but it's not worth it to fire them yet. They know the rate, they could hire someone cheaper.

Yeah, sometimes you gotta factor in the headache multiplier into the hourly rate formula....hehe. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.