Need to join 3 tables

heshan

Hi All,

I want something like this to be done. When a user enters the admission number and click on "Generate" button the details of the relevant student should come. I want Student Name, Date and state to be displayed. But these fields are in 3 different tables. Therefore i want to join 3 tables.  Can  anyone help me regarding below query??

The table structure is as follows.

attendance (admission_no, state_id, date)

attendance_state (state_id, state)

student_info (admission_no, name_with_initial,_____)

"SELECT * FROM attendance a1 INNER JOIN attendance_state a2, student_info.name_with_initial a3 ON a1.state_id=a2.state_id WHERE a1.admission_no=a3.admission_no"

A good tip for this is to write out your SQL sentences over multiple lines, which makes them a lot easier to read.

SELECT *
FROM attendance a1
    INNER JOIN attendance_state a2,
    student_info.name_with_initial a3 ON a1.state_id=a2.state_id
WHERE a1.admission_no=a3.admission_no

As you can see there's clearly something missing here, as noted by requinix above.

I have created this one based on you'll comemnts..But still not working.

SELECT attendance.admission_no, attendance.date, attendance_state.state, student_info.name_with_initial
FROM attendance a1
         INNER JOIN attendance_state a2 ON a1.state_id=a2.state_id
         INNER JOIN student_info a3 ON a1.admission_no=a3.admission_no

Yeah, exactly..I removed them and run the query..It works perfectly..

But small issue. I want to display details relevant to that particular admission number ONLY. But it displays almost every record in the attendance table.

I have inserted a WHERE clause at the end of the line. But it says "Column 'admission_no' in where clause is ambiguous"

SELECT attendance_state.state, attendance.admission_no, attendance.date, student_info.name_with_initial 
FROM attendance_state
         INNER JOIN attendance ON attendance_state.state_id=attendance.state_id 
         INNER JOIN student_info ON attendance.admission_no=student_info.admission_no 
WHERE admission_no='$admission_no'")

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.