Best way to generate transaction id for a point of sale application

mukeshprasad4u

Hi ,

I am new to the php.I am building an php pos application to learn php by doing.

I want to generate a unique transaction id whenever any transactions like purchase order,purchase return,sales or sales return etc.

But confused how to accomplise this.Is uniquid feature of php is sufficeint for this.

I wanted to generate it in format like PO20130220001 ie. PO+date+3 or 4 digit number.

Any kind of suggestion is of great help to me.

Are you using a database for this? MySQL? Know about auto_increment?

[edit] Eh, I'll elaborate.

If you create a primary key on a table consisting of a field for the date and secondary field that's an auto_increment then MySQL will handle the uniqueness for you.

INSERT INTO table (date, ...) VALUES ("20130220", ...)

date     | increment | ...
---------+-----------+----
20130220 |         1 | ...

INSERT INTO table (date, ...) VALUES ("20130220", ...)

date     | increment | ...
---------+-----------+----
20130220 |         1 | ...
20130220 |         2 | ...

The ID is then "PO" + date + increment formatted to however many digits you want. Such as

echo sprintf("PO%s%03d", "20130220", "1"); // PO20130220001

Edited by requinix

uniqid isn't usually random enough, for example it may (extremely slim chance here) generate the same integer twice. Though you may be able to use uniqid in conjunction with a MySQL field which has a unique index set on it.

Personally I'd make a php function which generates a random string or a pre-determined length, (for example, PO9028341), and then check the database within that function to see if that string already exists as a purchase ID. If it does, recursion, if it doesn't, return. :)

I suppose there's no reason. Personally I'd like transaction ID's to be more random/unique than the current timestamp + the current auto_increment ID. Using the current date/timestamp for instance limits to numbers only. :)

Edited by Mikey

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.