What PHP extension would you like to have?

yoursurrogategod

• 2 weeks later...

A PHP collections framework to manipulate collection of objects, similar to Java's. Lets face it, PHP's array is not that useful despite being much more powerful than Java's, and more importantly it is not object and thus the flaws are pretty much impossible to fix. Start with SplFixedArray and work on a collections framework from it, I believe its doable. In fact I am creating a PHP collections framework myself, working on HashMap right now. However, considering User-created classes will never be as efficient as PHP's built-in classes, it is definitely better to have a built-in collections framework in PHP's core.

PHP's array is not that useful despite being much more powerful than Java's, and more importantly it is not object and thus the flaws are pretty much impossible to fix.

You do realize that arrays in C and C++ aren't objects, right? And that Java isn't the end-all, be-all?

Not everything needs to be an object. That you believe it must only highlights your ignorance and lack of experience.

PHP doesn't need parameterized types as it's loosely typed. And the SPL already has most of the other collection structures (linked list, stack, queue) covered.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.