Stand alone text editor

Q695

Does anyone know of a stand alone text editor that works similar to the one I'm using right now, because I've looked at the WordPress editors, but it looks like they need all kinds of files.

I'm thinking something that I can easily write an include statement with on my own site, and easily tell it what to pass the variable as.

Does anyone know of a stand alone text editor that works similar to the one I'm using right now, because I've looked at the WordPress editors, but it looks like they need all kinds of files.

I'm thinking something that I can easily write an include statement with on my own site, and easily tell it what to pass the variable as.

I prefer the TinyMCE editor. The distribution consists of a lot of files, but you only need to include one to actually implement it on your page, everything else is handled automatically. Then to setup the editor it's just a single function call. If you really desire an editor with just a single file implemtation then do some googling, there is surely something out there to fit your needs.

I prefer the TinyMCE editor. The distribution consists of a lot of files, but you only need to include one to actually implement it on your page, everything else is handled automatically. Then to setup the editor it's just a single function call. If you really desire an editor with just a single file implemtation then do some googling, there is surely something out there to fit your needs.

I like it, but I'm confused as to how I write one simple include statement, and it will only require me to change the textarea name.

I like it, but I'm confused as to how I write one simple include statement, and it will only require me to change the textarea name.

You don't, you use two lines. One to include tinymce and all it's required files, and another to actually initialize the editor. By one line I meant you dont have to include all the files that come as part of the distribution, only a single .js file. You need a separate line to actually install the editor onto a textarea.

For example:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/path/to/tinymce.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">tinymce.init({selector: '#textarea_id'});</script>
That said if that is too much for you still, then you could take it down to a single line by creating your own .js file which will include tinymce and then install the editor onto a textarea. I've done something like this before by having a script that automatically applies tinymce to any element that has a class of wysiwyg-editor. Eg:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/path/to/myfile.js"></script>

<textarea class="wysiwyg-editor"></textarea>

You said you want a text editor. Do you really mean a CMS? Because it SOUNDS like what you want is a WYSIWYG editor, which is what TinyMCE is. It has nothing to do with Wordpress.

If you want a full CMS/blogging platform like Wordpress, that is completely different. That software would USE a WYSIWYG but that's not all it is.

I'm looking for a WYSIWYG text editor for a profile of whatever user that logs in can use to edit their own user profile.

I have the section fully built, but I want to quickly add a new feature to the page to make the profile editor part better.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.