Best browser for PHP developers

gerkintrigg

I hope this is considered on topic.

I currently use the Rockmelt web browser. If you have never heard of it, then you missed a great moment in the web because the Rockmelt browser will be switched off at the end of July. So I was wondering which browser do you use for day to day web programming?

I've used Firefox and chrome before, but rock melt thrashed them all. It'll be horrible going down to something that's "okay", but it's time for a battle of the browsers. What do you all think?

Neil

Like Flock, I found Rockmelt distracting. Social networking based browsers probably just aren't for me...too many shiny things.  :happy-04:

As for your question, the browser doesn't really matter when it comes to PHP. Testing the results from a PHP script is another story. How each browser interprets code like HTML, CSS, JavaScript is what needs monitoring.

Do you use a solution like Google Analytics? This should let you know which browsers your customers use. From there, you can judge which browsers to test with.

Edited by cyberRobot

PHP isn't a matter of browser as cyberRobot already said above.

It's about client side you have to worry, PHP will always output the same data for all browsers.

JavaScript, CSS and most parts of the HTML5 specification are what you have to supervise, and you always dynamically compute what CSS/JS to output with some $_SERVER sniffing (this is inaccurate, however, as the $_SERVER vars can mostly be changed), a more reliable feature is content sniffing, check which features the browser supports and then adjust the way data is displayed and what functions you can use, but that's mostly done client side.

If this is a browser discussion, then Firefox gets my vote for most precisely built browser as it is built by the Mozilla Foundation which has the creator of JavaScript as CTO, so that you can most likely always count on non-standard as well as ECMAScript 5 standards being implemented. It's just that you can program in JavaScript more freely, seing as you needn't worry about every single thing.

But that's just my opinion.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.