Very Simple Design

The Little Guy

What do you think? This isn't really a critique on the site, but those would be nice...

I am looking for what you think on the codes that I provide.  Each link has an interactive example, followed by the output, then the code used to make that example.

Thinks I would like:
- How is the coding for a specific link
- What codes could I add
- Layout
- Any other suggestions

Thanks
http://tzfiles.com/phpcode

Those are all answers to questions I have answered in this forum, and basically it is a tutorial/reference for doing those codes for anyone who needs help.  What more should I add/do? What can I change to make the site more affective to users new to PHP, not complete noobs, but those who have trouble with some coding.  What could make it more affective?

The best thing to do would be to take that list of things you have and actually do something proper with them that utilises them all, rather than just a demonstration of each individual one seperately. The knowledge you'll have gained from sussing out those ones should help you on your way to making a site that everyone would enjoy, not just those new to PHP, and not necessarily even people interested in PHP at all.

You should also test those codes before you post them...the age calculator has some bugs that need to be worked out.  Today is December 3, 2006 and I was born July 20, 1983.  I'm 23 years old, but according to the age calculator I am 22 years old.  A simple list of a few very basic PHP scripts is not real useful and you do have a serious lack of content to critique not to meantion the fact that you are competing with sites such as this one for traffic.  If this is just for fun and as a learning experience for you as a coder/designer then go for it, but please don't fool yourself and think you are out to better the web with six ultra simplistic scripts that don't function correctly.

The age calculator works now.

These scripts are answers to posts that I have answered in the PHP Help board. So basically when I find something that I could answer, I make a script. These scripts are not meant for people to "learn" PHP, but get coding help for maybe a function or something.

I have upgraded my navigation menu.

I dont like how the link's hovers load over the main content of the site.  Well the margin between the links and where the hover pops up is a bit.. far

There is no header/footer

If we find a problem or want to suggest something for you to demonstrate, how do we contact you? There is no form, email addy etc.

Php is something I know better than I know any other language, meaning I know it better than I know other languages, because it's mostly what Ido.  But I would have loved to have some of this when I first started, some of these samples would have taught me a lot.

It would be for a limited audience ,you have to have to way of learning to be able to benefit from it, but my personal opinion.  The examples are great, and I could still probably learn a little from them, the tutorial is well laid out, and the navigation isn't bad.

Just opinions.

[quote author=The Little Guy link=topic=116546.msg479924#msg479924 date=1165431617]
how far do you see it? I see it about 5px from the blue navigation bar. is that what your seeing?
I don't really know where else too put it. I moved the body content over some.
[/quote]

The width of the blue navigation (in my firefox 1.5.*) is like 150px in width. There is space between the edge of the links on the left to the edge of the blue column. The hover text then goes on the outside of the blue column over the white content :)

Sorry its hard to explain, I can get a screen shot I guess it will help a bit.

Instead of floating the explaination of the link on the content, why not put it above the links and change it in the blue column? or below the links?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.