tutorial

Renlok

i wrote a tutorial wondering if its any good?

[url=http://www.we-link.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32.0]http://www.we-link.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32.0[/url]

any feedback on it? and i know its really simple but im going to make it more usful eventually, its just written to get people started

if you're writing a tutorial, its worth checking your spelling. people will think "if he cant spell, does he really know enough to teach me PHP?".
also - even for a TOTAL beginner, it's a bit simple. I remember being disappointed when i wrote my first ever "hello world" script in C++. "is that it?" was pretty much my thought. PHP is not really a language for someone to get stuck into if they havent got the aptitude to do something more challenging than a basic echo script.

cheers
Mark

well yeah i know what you mean the first i learnt with php was to echo  hello world well i though the same thing well thats crap, but thats only the begginning of the tutorial i will add more in time

i have also spell checked it so all the speelings sould know be correct.

i was planning on showing them something like how to create a simple database system where you can add things and retrive them with php showing them how to do this. as then like you said i would be more then super simple

I don't quite agree with "Marlo" that replied on your forum. I wouldn't call it a "kick-ass tutorial". While showing people how to output content and defining variables is important, a tutorial should still contain more than that. In my opinion you should at least have introduced GET/POST, forms and functions.

[quote author=Renlok link=topic=117099.msg477510#msg477510 date=1165063079]
i have also spell checked it so all the speelings sould know be correct.
[/quote]
Sorry Renlok, had a little chuckle at this line ;)

IMO, beginner tutorial or not, all tutorials dealing with $_POST/$_GET should clearly point out that relying on ANY sort of user input in its pure state is bad. noob tutorial or not, any mention of $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE, etc, should automatically come with an explaination of what happens to the values as they're POSTed, etc, as a newbie may find it a little strange that these odd slashes can turn up (depending on their php settings of course).

[b]edit:[/b] renlok, i'm seriously not trying to be one of these spelling/grammar police here, but impressions when giving a tutorial are important. Now your spelling is sorted, you need to throw in a full stop/comma or two in there to give the tutorials some sentences.

Yeah, I agree with the posts above. When you don't properly use spell check or grammar check for that matter, it gives a bad impression. When I read the sentence "i have also spell checked it so all the speelings sould know be correct." I wouldn't want to read the tutorial because I would be afraid you didn't know what you were talking about.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.