Simulate screen res

redbullmarky

anyone know of any plugins for either IE7/FF/Opera (PC) that allow you to simulate different screen resolutions? I'm not talking about a simple Zoom here. I'm talking about rendering my page with my page believing that it's actually being viewed at a larger resolution.

I'm only on a 1024x768 and cant up it any further, but it'd be useful to see what those with bigger monitors sees.

Cheers
Mark

ahh lovely. does the trick, at least for now.
if anyone knows of a plugin though that does the same, that'd be grand. if there isnt one, then will someone please write one. the world needs it ;)

safari's good enough for me as i use it a fair bit. i've been trying to tweak sites so that they dont look rubbish on big screens, using % widths, only things often seem to get pulled apart alot more especially after putting it together on a 1024x768 screen.

cheers
Mark

[quote author=kenrbnsn link=topic=117728.msg481324#msg481324 date=1165611126]
There's a note [url=http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2205126#2205126]here[/url] on how to get it to install on FF2.

I haven't tried it.

Ken
[/quote]

Most of the time that works. Else you may use the [url=http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/nightly]Nightly Tester Tools[/url]-extension to make it work.

yeah i did give it a blast, along with ken's suggestion (which made it work - and left me with a nice little utility (the zip editing one) for the future, so not all bad - thanks ken!) but unfortunately, it still doesnt do the trick. it drops the height of my browser window right down, but the width of the window never goes beyong the width of my screen.
to kinda clarify - in an ideal world, what i'd expect is this: i select a resolution from my browser. if the res is too big for my screen, then i get scrollbars. sure, i could do this by hacking around at the code/css - but i'd rather if there was a simple tool that just pretended i had a bigger one than i really have (ooohhherrr!)

mark - I know what your thinking - but Im not sure it can be done. Its the physical resolution of your monitor stopping you from viewing a website at a high res. Solution - get a better monitor!

Actually another off the wall suggestion as ober hinted - get a script which will render a webpage and spit out a jpg of it. There is a way in linux - of taking opening up firefox on a specific url - taking a screen grab and saving a jpg etc. Im not sure how it'd be done on windows.
neways. As I said - using browsercamp and a few other will work for the time being.

-steve

yeah i think that's what many of the plugins seem to be doing. steve - you're right, browsercamp will do for the time being, and do what i want, but you know how it is - something that plugs in to your browser that you can quickly call using the context menu to 'trick' the browser into believing that the outer body of the document is much bigger than it is - which would cause scrollbars, but would ultimately trick the inner contents to scaling as if it was on a bigger monitor (i think).

i can simulate the effect by adding a 'width:1200px' or whatever to the body in the stylesheet, but obviously its not as convenient to keep tweaking the code like that or putting JS patches all over the place.

maybe i'm just being a fussy (lazy) git :)

cheers for the suggestions though guys. i've picked up some handy things along the way...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.