Some suggestions needed

colap

To be honest, both examples are cumbersome and ugly. And that's not even usable code, because you've forgotten the HTML-escaping. The real code would look something like this:

<div><?= htmlspecialchars($some_value, ENT_QUOTES | ENT_SUBSTITUTE | ENT_HTML5, 'UTF-8'); ?></div>

And that's just one variable in one HTML element. When you're dealing with more complex output, you'll quickly end up with this terrible Wordpress-style spaghetti code.

Personally, I very much prefer using a proper template engine like Twig or Smarty:

<div>{{ some_value }}</div>

This is clearly much more readable. And since Twig automatically escapes the output, you won't run into cross-site scripting vulnerabilities all the time.

Edited by Jacques1
  • Like 1

If you don't use a template engine you can always use a function in you configuration file that you use to make it a little less cumbersome, for example

function html_escape($raw_input) {
    // important! don't forget to specify ENT_QUOTES and the correct encoding
    return htmlspecialchars($raw_input, ENT_QUOTES | ENT_SUBSTITUTE | ENT_HTML5, 'UTF-8');
}

then call it like 

<p class="blogParagraph"><?php echo nl2br(html_escape($row->content)); ?></p>

I believe I got this small script from a tutorial I got from a different forum written by Jacques! awhile back.  :tease-03:  :happy-04:

Personally, I very much prefer using a proper template engine like Twig or Smarty:

<div>{{ some_value }}</div>

This is clearly much more readable. And since Twig automatically escapes the output, you won't run into cross-site scripting vulnerabilities all the time.

Does Twig automatically escape output now? I know you can set a template to auto-escape blocks of output, but you have to specifically set it to do so. Otherwise you escape on the value, such as

<div>{{ some_value|e }}</div>
<div>{{ some_value|escape('html') }}</div>

unless that changed...

Either way, Twig is fantastic and very much recommended.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.