wordpress: forbidden: no permission to access site: ways, methods to get the access back

hello dear experts

forbidden: no permission to access site: ways, methods to get the access back :: i am looked out - and cannot access the page any more: 

the questioin is: how to disable theme using ftp or how to do some configurations that help me to get back again. 

to begin with the beginning: 

- running wP 5.3 - with the theme 2020
- note; the site is not active in a true sense: it was just installed several days ago. So there is not much content on it. i can do fresh install. No problem here. 

the conditions: and the preliminaries: server and setup 
- i am on a root-server which is maintained by a friend of me. 
- i have webmin and access to the logfiles and the apache and mysqlserver.
- i have access to the backend via ftp

what happened: several days ago i have been doing some minor changes in the backend - while this job i have fallen asleep (believe it or not) and the next day i get the following:

Forbidden: You don't have permission to access this resource.

the logfiles look like so: 

[Fri Apr 10 19:07:39.79231 2020] [core:error] [pid 15263] (13)Permission denied: [client 73.43.47.323:56979] AH00035: access to /favicon.ico denied (filesystem path '/sites/www.site_one.org/favicon.ico') because search permissions are missing on a component of the path, referer: http://www.site_two.org`

interesting: both sites are vhosts on my server: the site one is not active - and the site two is the site i cannot access at the moment. 

regarding the settings: 
i have set the site to theme 2020 - twentytwenty.

at the moment i do not have a idea what to do: 

can i restore the site via backend...

sensu: how to disable theme using ftp  https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-disable-theme-using-ftp/

One of my themes, Avada, is currently causing a white screen with the message, “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” on both front and backend. If I rename the Avada folder using FTP, the message changes to “The theme directory “Avada” does not exist”.
So I know it is calling the theme. How do I go about disabling the Avada theme using FTP (since backend is not accessible) and how do I activate another theme, e.g. Twentynineteen? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks, Rutger 

end of quote... 

the  questions are: 

- can i do something via backend - that is: via ftp-backend? 
- renameing themes - that is  switching off themes 
- renaming plugins - that is  switching off  plugins

or do something else alike 

- or should i  do a update & to the newest version 5.4 

note: the site does not (!) have a bunch of content - it was just in a freshly install-mode. 

look forward to hear from you 

regards

hi there 

just wiped the whole installation  - and set the new files of WP 5.4 

but the page ist not visible --- not yet

guest@dnstools.ch:~> ping www.mydomain.com  
PING www.mydomain.com (133.34.65.114) 56(84) bytes of data. 
 --- www.mydomain.com ping statistics --- 
16 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7620ms 

but the info.php file with the data is visible

http://www.mydomain.com/info.php

ping has absolutely nothing to do with web servers. It will tell you absolutely nothing about whether a web server is set up and configured properly. It might tell you whether the server as a whole is up.

This thread is more than a year old.