PHP, MySQL, and a simple CMS

Bjornar

I asked this on the php help forum too. They don't answer me there. I want to develop a simple CMS. In that connection, I have some questions. I only have experience with php and mysql - programming as a hobby, so these are just simple things I have done before. Such as displaying date retrieving simple data from database etc. I have always been dependent on tutorials etc. Now also have some books. But they don’t give me the clear answer on my questions. I nead to know what i am looking for. Since I am Danish, and my English is not very good, and all material and good books are in English, I struggle a bit. Now I use Google Translate. I therefore hope this will be correct. I “believe” you who work with this, and who can do this, have your own (within the industry) words and expressions that describe to someone in the same industry what has been developed, or is to be developed.

What is it called, and what should I look for to develop:

A login system that keeps track of admin and regular users.

A system that updates a web page / mini cms with images and text, deletion of articles etc.

Send mail system.

Hope someone can help me with these answers.

With kind regards from Bjørnar

These are very broad questions that do not have a single answer. What you can do varies a lot.

1 hour ago, Bjornar said:

A login system that keeps track of admin and regular users.

The word you need is "role", as in a user login system where each user can have a different role (ie, user role or admin role).

A system that updates a web page / mini cms with images and text, deletion of articles etc.

That just sounds like a CMS.

Send mail system.

Use PHPMailer or Swift Mailer to send the emails. You configure them with your email server information, like if you want to use a Gmail account, and they do the rest of the work.

Ok. Thanks. But back to the second question. I know that the word for it is CMS. I am more into different parts or modules. Like what the different name or word is for each of the modules i am listing. Maybe my English is too bad or weak to make me understand enough.

It's like when I am going to create a module for updating the site with updated content and pictures, what am I going to look for in my books to create a function like that?

Like the chapter in my book that describes how to create a user registration system. That chapter is called: Allowing users to register accounts.

Maybe I misunderstand the whole total and there are no special expressions when it comes to the programming industry other than the word you mension for me. I think maybe there was some special word on things. Ok 

2 hours ago, Bjornar said:

Ok. Thanks. But back to the second question. I know that the word for it is CMS. I am more into different parts or modules. Like what the different name or word is for each of the modules i am listing. Maybe my English is too bad or weak to make me understand enough.

Maybe content "with media"? Or maybe "supporting uploads", because you'd need to do that for images to be possible.

But there aren't really any special words. Because supporting images and deleting posts/articles and such are simply the normal features you'd find in most CMSes.

2 hours ago, Bjornar said:

Maybe I misunderstand the whole total and there are no special expressions when it comes to the programming industry other than the word you mension for me. I think maybe there was some special word on things. Ok 

Not especially. There are definitely special terms for many different things, like I mentioned "roles" earlier, but that doesn't mean everything has special terms.

Like "allowing users to register accounts" isn't a term. It's a description. And "inserting images and videos into posts" is also a description.

3 hours ago, requinix said:

Like "allowing users to register accounts" isn't a term. It's a description. And "inserting images and videos into posts" is also a description.

Yes, you are right. There I see already that because my bad English isn't too good it makes trouble for me. Because this is exactly what I meant.

Among these "descriptions" there are self-developed words, sentences, and phrases to describe different functions.

27 minutes ago, maxxd said:

What's the name of the book you're using?

PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja. Got tips about this book from a Norwegian on a Scandinavian web development forum, but I think the book is difficult to learn of since the book is in English. But if I can learn the technical terms, I think it will go well for me. That's what I'm asking. What are the different technical terms and what do they mean? So I think it is me who is difficult here and not the book.

ISBN: 978-0-9943469-8-8
https://www.webforumet.no

Just from the sample on Amazon it looks like the book defines the terms you'll need to know pretty quickly - function, variable, statement, control loops, etc. The thing to remember is that none of these are specific to PHP so if you can find a good general introduction to programming in your native language you should be able to get enough to start understanding the specific things PHP does with all the general constructs.

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you. You are so spot on. But I don't know or understand the difference between function, variable, statement, control loops, etc. I am looking for the answer to what all this term means, when or in which situation, or what connection to use them in. Where or when can one and each of them be used. So, you are right. Get enough to start understanding the specific things PHP does with all the general constructs. And I will not understand that before I can start programming in my language. I give the book a try. So, will I see where it ends? It would be so much easier if I knew someone who can program here in Denmark. So, till then, I must claim my book and Google Translate.

I'm sure this isn't as easy as I'm making it out to be, but try to break it down to the basics. The command words in PHP don't change regardless the language spoken by the coder - the variable names and comments will change, but the command words don't. So don't worry about the specific command words while you're starting out. Learn what the constructs do, then learn what they're called.

Think about is like this:

• a variable is learned knowledge that can change at any time if/when you learn something new
  • a function is an action, more often than not done with and dependent on the knowledge you have from your variables at that point in time
  • a control loop is the thought process about what to do and why to do it; it's heavily influenced by your variables and dictates the function that is performed
  • a statement is kind of common knowledge or social agreement - it's an expected, repeatable outcome no matter the conditions around it

This is massively simplified, but in my experience it's helped some people to step back and explore the basics before they start actually learning programming.

After that, you can figure out when to use a for loop as opposed to a do or while loop - those are some of the command words you'll be dealing with.

Disclaimer: Not gonna lie, I accidentally posted this halfway through typing it and then I had to edit it to finish it and I hope nobody was notified on the first post. I even though about deleting it entirely because english is my first (and only, unfortunately) language and most tech documentation I came across in my learning was in english so it was easier for me. Hopefully the above makes some sense, is contextually correct, and helps.

Edited by maxxd

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.