Book about IIS and PHP?

preWarp
Go to solution Solved by kicken,

I need help finding a book about IIS and PHP. I am looking for a book with example source code in PHP for use with IIS. Most books for PHP pertain to Apache. I am trying to have a jumping off point with PHP but am intrigued by the corporate mystique of IIS and it's web applications.

The world of technology moves too quickly for print books to be up to date: by the time they're published,
(a) The information is wrong because the technology has progressed in the time it took them to write, edit, and publish that book. PHP 8.3 is due in the next couple months but most books are only just now starting to talk about 8.0 or maybe 8.1.
(b) The information is wrong because, in their haste to publish a book as quickly as possible, they took shortcuts and jumped the gun. You'll find tons of books about PHP 6 out in the world, but guess what: there is no PHP 6.

Online resources are going to be the most accurate and most up to date.

But none of that matters because there is virtually no difference between PHP+IIS and PHP+Apache and PHP+nginx+fpm. It just doesn't matter that much. What can matter is whether you're using Windows or Linux, but even that makes very little difference in practice either.

Thanks. So, I want to try loading PHP code on to a IIS web server. What if the author of the book is using Apache products. You mean to say there is no difference weather I take the code from the book and use IIS instead of Apache? I know the source code is the same. But what if the author says put the code in what ever folder Apache uses and initiate the PHP JIT compiler and IIS differs? How hard is it to read a book on how to use IIS to serve PHP web pages? I think something isn't right here and this plan is missing something. Do you know how I could  cross develop with PHP, IIS, and Apache webserver(s)? 

• Solution

The server software you use is not that relevant to developing in PHP.  Installing and configuring PHP itself to run will vary based on the server software, but once that is done, your scripts run the same regardless of the server.  I do all my local development work using Apache, but the production site is hosted on IIS.  The PHP code is all the same, there's nothing in it that cares which server software is being used.

The server configuration required to get PHP installed and running, and to configure specific things needed by the site vary between the two of course.  For example, IIS doesn't understand .htaccess files, it has it's own web.config file for dynamic site configuration settings.  The way the domain and document roots are setup is different as well, but that's general server administration stuff and not PHP specific.  For that information you'd just find IIS or Apache documentation / tutorials.

If your goal is just to learn PHP, then you'd probably have an easier time just setting up apache since a lot of documentation references it.  If your goal is to learn IIS, then seek out IIS documentation in general rather than IIS+PHP specific stuff.

That's a great idea. I do want to use IIS and now realize my goal is more about web server administration. I do want to self-host openpro, some ERP with an installation guide showing pictures from back in the Windows NT/IIS 5.0 days, I don't want to develop as much as I want to execute code on a server, and I have a book on IIS by William R. Stanek; then I'll focus on IIS. I will only use Apache if the author has good chapters about web server administration. I will have to find such a book but at least I know that I want to learn about the server.

BTW the main trio of web servers is IIS, Apache, and nginx. They all work quite differently from each other, and they can get rather complicated if you want to learn them in depth, so I'd suggest your first decision be whether you want to focus on/start with the Windows stack (with IIS) or the 'nix stack (with Apache or nginx).

Huh. Ok. Didn't think about a windows stack but that does clarify my thoughts of learning about Microsoft Products. I think I am most interested in how Windows Server seems like the way organizations host a front end for their Intranet. I was just curious about it.

I noticed that the organization I work for has a Windows client and edge browser that connects laborers and managers to a warehouse management system.

The windows clients with Edge browser probably connect to Windows server. I believe it makes administration of the user area easier. I would think the WMS developer uses PHP for compatibility with IIS. Then the user area has access to the micro apps for functions of the WMS. Doing the same in java seems difficult for the Microsoft environment. But I know little about how it all actually works.

I do not know much about the back half. The WMS developer runs want ads for candidates with a strong Oracle DBMS background. I often imagine they are using Solaris as well. My guess on that is Solaris has more security features that profit driven organizations need.

2 minutes ago, preWarp said:

The windows clients with Edge browser probably connect to Windows server. I believe it makes administration of the user area easier.

Ha, no. What makes administration easy is the experience and skills of the person/people administering it; drop a Windows person into a Linux environment and they won't do as well.

3 minutes ago, preWarp said:

I often imagine they are using Solaris as well. My guess on that is Solaris has more security features that profit driven organizations need.

Also no. Solaris is just another system out there. Business might adopt it because they hear "it's owned by Oracle" and think that's a good thing.

Over and over, it's been proven that open-source software is more secure than closed-source.

Okay. I will keep in mind that using Windows server to host a part of a WMS that is also unix related is not as easy as it sounds. So scratch that notion. One day I'll have more info on types of organizations that use Windows server. I work in a warehouse. The managers & laborers use windows clients & edge. Not much more of an idea what it is used for.

But I hear things about terminal servers and RDP vs Hypervisor and VDP. Obviously one uses more bandwidth than the other but what do they use remote desktops or virtual machines on a server for? To "take care of business"? I just am missing details that I need to understand completely.

Thanks for your input about my concepts of the stack. I am beginning to look into ASP.NET. I am hoping it sheds light on PHP the same way glassfish has shed light on java.

15 hours ago, preWarp said:

The managers & laborers use windows clients & edge.

The clients you use to access a system, particularly a web based system, are not in any way indicative of the technologies being used to host and serve that system.  A 'nix based server stack is far more popular than a windows based one.

15 hours ago, preWarp said:

but what do they use remote desktops or virtual machines on a server for

Remote desktop is a method of access the server to perform tasks (install/update software, troubleshoot issues, etc).  Servers are often headless (meaning there is no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached) and remote so a person can't just go sit down at the server and login to it like you would your desktop or kiosk.  That means you need a way to connect to it remotely to do certain tasks and remote desktop is the common way of doing that in a windows environment.  'nix based servers typically use SSH.  VNC is another alternative.

Virtual machines are not "on the server", rather they "are the server".  It's common these days to run servers in a virtual environment rather than a single piece of dedicated hardware.  This is where the Hypervisor comes in as well.  The hypervisor is what runs on the dedicated hardware and provides the virtualization environment.  The individual servers are then created as virtual machines within that virtual environment.  It's easier to isolate systems and services this way. 

Before virtualization you either needed to have separate dedicated machines for each system/service or you'd get a single high-spec machine and try and run everything on that single machine.  Separate machines for each service gets expensive both in terms of hardware cost and physical space costs.  A single system is harder to maintain and any software issues might take down your entire set of services.  Virtualization allows you to get the single high-spec machine to minimize cost, while keeping isolated software environments so issues with one service don't interrupt other services.

Not re if I will seem like an egoic last word seeker. I now see that VMs are for services and RDP is a windows remote managment protocol like ssh is with my Linux based VM client.

So does the IT industry refer to RDP, SSH, and VNC as "remote managment protocols". Then is VDP considered a service based protocol? Most important, is a terminal server  a managment server of many servers in a large system? Then is a hypervisor (server) using VDP a provider of desktop service to many employees?

Is SSH typically used at the point of ASP.NET in a stack consisting of Microsoft products (IIS, SQL exchange server, asp.net, visual studio) Especially if the system is an ERP based on SSH?

17 hours ago, preWarp said:

Is SSH typically used at the point of ASP.NET in a stack consisting of Microsoft products (IIS, SQL exchange server, asp.net, visual studio)

SSH is not typically used in a windows based stack.  RDP is generally used to access and manage windows based servers.  Modern windows server has other management tools I believe, but I don't have experience with them.