short hand php <? ?>

tallberg

If I understand correctly, the difference is that shorthand PHP must be enabled on the server.  If it's not working, you'll need to enable shorthand PHP.

Because shorthand PHP is not used on all servers (evidenced by your shorthand not working), it is generally best (I would guess) to use

[code]<?php ?>[/code]

to enclose your PHP code blocks.

Just curious, but is it really that hard to type three letters?

Also, IMO, shorthand never should have been invented.  It just promotes bad habits, I think...

If you KNOW for a fact that shorthand will be enabled on whatever servers, then use it if you want.

For example:  if you are the web admin, and you have shorthand enabled, then you can easily and reliably use shorthand.  If you're the web admin, after all, I doubt you're going to be migrating your website to a hosting service any time soon...unless you get fired and don't have the resources available you had before (processing power and bandwidth)...

<?php echo $variable ?>
vs
<?= $variable ?>

I only use <?= on templates so whoever is using them can read them more easily.

I believe though (big chance that this is wrong) that some standards (I dunno which) suggests all dynamic languages to be called by their opening tag (<?) followed by a 3 letter identifier (php). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

On the contrary, I don't think it looks professional at all.  I like everything to be plainly and obviously declared with no room for obscurity or question.

I guess I'm oldschool in thought maybe?

There will always be multiple institutions of learning.

It was discussed wether to kill the short tags from php6, it seems however that it's desided to allow <? for now. But who knows in future releases, i would stick to <?php

http://php6dev.blogspot.com/#remove-support-for-and-script-language-php-and-add-php-var

[quote author=alpine link=topic=121290.msg498474#msg498474 date=1168125368]
It was discussed wether to kill the short tags from php6, it seems however that it's desided to allow <? for now. But who knows in future releases, i would stick to <?php

http://php6dev.blogspot.com/#remove-support-for-and-script-language-php-and-add-php-var
[/quote]
Well I think shorthand is better due to the fact that most coders use it and also for code such as this.

[code]<input type="text" value="<? echo $_GET['value']; ?>">[/code]

And things like that.

as has been mentioned, short tags (and also the [url=http://uk.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.alternative-syntax.php]alternative syntax for control structures[/url]) are very useful for templates where you're using PHP as the "template engine" rather than something like smarty.

With the popularity of Rails, Smarty, etc, I personally dont think they will actually get rid of them at all, even after PHP6. Most hosts have it on by default, and new downloads/installations of PHP have it turned on by default, too. Ok, so it's not much harder to type in the 'php' bit or 'php echo', but even still - it does keep templates that extra bit tidier.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.