Review please - dotscript.com

bl0wfish

Hi2All,

http://dotscript.com is a site meant to be a marketplace for web scripts. People can register and publish their scripts for sale. People who publish their scripts may provide support to their customers through the support forums of the site. There is also a payment tracking system, where script owners can see the payments for their scripts and their revenue. In addition to that, affiliates who promote the site with their corresponding affiliate id's will also make revenue.

The site is not complete yet, and I want critique mainly about the idea of the site, do you find it successful, and so on. Comments on the design or something else will also be appreciated.

You can register and take a look at the publishing part.

Thanks in advance,
Blagovest

[quote author=AXiSS link=topic=124223.msg514567#msg514567 date=1169867580]
Nothing looks new, or interesting. Nothing makes me want to use it, and the blandness just doesn't make me want to stay, either.
[/quote]

Well, I explicitly said that the site is not complete yet, so it's almost blank of contents.

Would you give an advice on making it interesting and attractive?

The only color on the page is the dot in the dotscript logo. I'd bring in that red somewhere else. Also there are a lot of gradients, none with the same color values. I'd standardize the gradeints or throw some color into the backgrounds. Also, there is a ton of gray, you might want to replace some of that with the red.

y'know, the grey doesnt bother me much, but i guess the way you've contained and used it may be a little off.
the problem with using smartly styled icons is you need to then pay extra attention to the quality of the rest of the site, else it'll look like you've just thrown them in for good measure, as opposed to using them to the benefit of the site as a whole.

personally, i'd do a few things if it was my site.
1, pay closer attention to your grey boxes. i have a sneaky feeling that it's not the grey that's all of the problem, but more the harsh black outline. on one hand you have a 3D shadow look, on the other you have a flat, 2D look. Not saying to introduce gradients or anything, but have a look at how the blocks of (for example) this forum, and Windows are done. mild gradient, soft coloured outline, etc.
2, your site seems lopsided to the right, due to the big whitespace in your left column. personally, i'd move the login/search boxes up top (unless you're gonna put something else up there, and put your category listings down the side. this way, your script lists come UP the page a bit more, bringing the main focus of the site into view. like when you click on (for example) PHP Scripts - the main categories goes into the left column, and you content moves up. this then seems like a much more "balanced" page.
3, as your first entry page is the "browse script" page, maybe you should move the nav item "browse scripts" to the left, just as an easier way of getting back home.
4, if there's only one page of results, you dont need the page number. It just looks like a random '1' thrown into the mix.
5, Contact Us - mailto = not good, especially for those of us that dont leave our email programs open.

take a look at your [url=http://dotscript.com/about.php]About Us[/url] page. That's probably the best page in terms of its balance/layout, etc.

Cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.