Does it really cost a lot to host a medium traffic website?

twilightnights

I know someone online who runs a forum/website that has roughly 900 users online at a time.  He says he makes 20-30 dollars a day off google ads and it takes him 6 servers to run it.  Does it really cost 900dollars/month to run something like this?  Or in general do people BS like this to receive donations to their website?  He said the traffic is like 2tb a month.

I really don't see how this is possible as I get 1tb a month from my hosting at 6 dollars a month.

I see a lot of sites that run ads and ask for donations to keep the site running.  And they are usually user contributed sites that don't take much webmaster interaction.  Do they REALLY need donations? 

I have seen some reseller plans online lately that I got interested in, they were about $30 a month.  Hosting is cheap if you find the right place if you host it your self with a large site it is obviously going to cost you more.

I doubt you will find any hosting things for more than $35 a week. The reseller plan I looked at cost $30 a week. Just make sure you shop around, and if you host it your self you have to be ready to accept the cost.

If I had 900 users online at a time, Id have:
a seperate mysql server
a seperate fileserver (for off loading downloads, or hosting large images etc.)
depending on his setup etc. - a mailserver
2 webservers (that ought to do it)
Lastly maybe a dhcp / admin server.

Thats 5. 900 users at a time is a fair bit, and as Daniel said - it all depends on the content.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.