I've been a bit silly...Help!

redbullmarky

Anyone have any idea how to restore a partition?

I had one of my drives partitioned into 3. However, when I deleted one of them, another one got totalled as well - and I need it back.

Anyone know any (ideally free) ways of getting my partition back? Nothing was formatted at all.

Cheers

Mark

edit: PS - I'm on Windows XP Pro

Ouch. That sucks. Otherwise you may have been able to revert the changes.

Does it say 'unallocated' in the disk manager?

Then you'll need a data recovery tool. Plenty of them, none of them free, as far as I know.

Otherwise, only drive assignment is screwed up, that should be fixable.

Was this partition within the one you wanted to delete?

Surely it has prompted you to save the partition table? Did you click yes?

Otherwise, Id'e just shut Disk Management and start again (then again I know nothing about windows). It should'nt delete partitions without asking you wether or not you wish to save the partition table.

i tried that.

the 3 partitions are (according to the image) consecutive. the one i selected and deleted was the first of the 3 - but when i selected "delete logical drive" it promted me - i clicked yes. but not only did THAT drive say its bye byes, so did the 3rd of the 3. now it shows the 3 partitions, but the first and 3rd are "Free Space" whilst the 2nd remains untouched.

I don't know much about this, but after looking on google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+partition+recovery+software&btnG=Google+Search

THere are a few you can find for free, however since I don't know much about it, maybe it would be best to pay money for one.  THere are a few I saw on there that were free, like 4-5 down the list.

the space isn't gone.  It has been marked as free space, but is still there, waiting to be written over.  There is forensics software that allows experts to rebuild a formated, but unwritten over, harddrive. That is why DoD standards is to not only format the drive, but replace all data on with with random sequence of numbers: 010001211001101010101012244  Like that.

I'm in a forensics class. If something like trying to recover it might interest you, and you haven't written anything to the drive since the format, I can take a look at the book/ask my professor and see what he says on getting it back.

Indeed the data is not gone, nor scrambled or anything of the sorts. If one restores the partition table the data will be accesible once more. Maybe you need the restore the MFT too, I don't know - I'm not an expert.

Anyway, guess I found a tool to help you out. You can kiss me now.. :P

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Acconding to this guy (it's in Dutch - maybe that's better because he clearly has no idea what he's doing), it works like a charm!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.