800x600 Resolution

The Little Guy

How important is it to design for 800x600 resolution?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How important is it to design for 800x600 resolution?

• Very Important
    • Not Important
    • Somewhat Important
    • Depends

I think for most content, especially with how widely used 19" or larger monitors are, 800x600 is really pushing the limits of what you can display at one time.  It depends on how you laid it out, but having a vertical navigation menu and a vertical banner would give very little room for content.

You have to look at the reason as to why anyone would size their browser window so small in the first place.  Most of the time I think people use a small viewing window just so they can alt+tab as their boss walks by and avoid notice more easily.  Similar situation for people in school.

In that case, I think it'd be more appropriate to provide a layout or stylesheet that isn't so flashy so as not to catch attention.  ^_^

personally, i dont think it's that important, but only because i'm on a 1024x768 and consider it small these days. in some ways, i consider it like trying to support stuff like Netscape 4 - ok, you SHOULD do it, but they should also be thinking that it's about time they should upgrade...

having said that - on at least one site i've done (the admin part of it), i've taken into consideration browsing on a PDA or mobile phone, but that in itself is a different kettle of fish anyway. it's not like your average layout will work as expected - you literally need to detect and optimise based on the device. still....

Nice link ken.

I wonder what percentage of that 14% are people who just re-installed their OS and are at their video card manufacturer's website downloading the proper drivers.  :D

Joking aside, 14% is higher than I expected.  The site I program at work is contained within 800 pixels of width and it's sufficient for most of the site; after taking into account the left-side navigation menu there's about 600 pixels of content to work with.  However, a new module I'm developing can potentially need more space so I added a bit of javascript to make the left-side menu collapsible.

I'll amend my original statement to:  If you really want to make your pages accessible to everyone, make sure the content can fit in an 800 pixel width area without needing constant horizontal scrolling from the user.

(EDIT) Thinking about it a bit more, a new video card and monitor to support a higher resolution and still maintain readable text isn't all that expensive.  So if your site is something like e-commerce, if your users are so tight in the wallet they won't shell out to upgrade their system, how likely are they to shell out for the products you're selling?  And if they are that tight in the wallet, they'll buy from the cheapest, most trustworthy-appearing site, regardless of if it fits within their browser window or not.

(EDIT) Thinking about it a bit more, a new video card and monitor to support a higher resolution and still maintain readable text isn't all that expensive.  So if your site is something like e-commerce, if your users are so tight in the wallet they won't shell out to upgrade their system, how likely are they to shell out for the products you're selling?  And if they are that tight in the wallet, they'll buy from the cheapest, most trustworthy-appearing site, regardless of if it fits within their browser window or not.

Are you kidding me?

I think it is safe to move on to a higher resolution.  The 14% that are using 800 px are used to the fact that they need to side scroll.  In fact, building your sites at a higher resolution is only going to help make the push to get rid of the old, and I mean way old, 800 px so-called standard. 

If you have a lot of data to display, then go larger.

Are you kidding me?

No.

I wonder how relliable w3schools is?

here is a quote from them:

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

And the percentage of internet users interested in w3scools?

1%? 2%?

As most of them are tech savyies so they will definetly use 17" to 19" monitors.

I think most of the people still use 15" monitors because u simply dont need more then that for day to day works and bigger monitors means bigger overhead for eyes. its not tv that we watch from 3-4 meters away. And trying to see texts in 15" monitors with a 1024-768 resolution is....well..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.