DNS

The Little Guy

I don't know what options godaddy gives you so ask them if you can update your A record.  You will need to point your DNS A record at your home computers IP address.  I assume you know that you'll need to forward all port 80 requests to the web servers local IP or at least setup the web server as a DMZ host.

Id'e skip godaddy all together. Just go to dyndns.org purchase a domain, and read the instructions for setting up custom DNS.

Iv'e been using these guys services for a long while now (I run several sites, a mail server and a few other bits and pieces from home) and they've been excelent.

Id'e skip godaddy all together. Just go to dyndns.org purchase a domain, and read the instructions for setting up custom DNS.

Iv'e been using these guys services for a long while now (I run several sites, a mail server and a few other bits and pieces from home) and they've been excelent.

Don't they mask the URL?

Is there some sort of DNS thing I could download and have godaddy point to the DNS on my computer?

You could also use Zone Edit. It is a great free dns service. I used them for a long time. Also, here is a nice general link for running a web server on a dsl or cable line http://www.dslwebserver.com/

@little guy

I would recommend that you research it further before actually hosting a dns server on your home system. Depending on which one you go with there are major security concerns that you will need to address before doing that. I recommend that you use a dns service instead of hosting it your self at least until you are more familiar with them. Also, as long as port 80 is not blocked by your isp the dns hosting service should not have to mask your domain. It should point directly to your ip from the zone files.

Good Luck,

Tom

I want the URL to display, and not mask or convert To an IP

Read the link I provided. Your question has been answered!

Sheesh.

That costs money... Is there a way to do it for free? Like some sort of download?

What sort of download should that be?

You could install a DNS server on your computer, but tomfmason said that there are a lot of security issues involved with that so it might not be a good idea.

That costs money... Is there a way to do it for free? Like some sort of download?

Are you 12 or something? Most of us pay for our piece of the internet. And to be honest you are not ready to host your own server.. If you put up an insecure server it will only be your fault when it gets owned by some script kiddie. I suggest, for right now, that you stick with a third party hosting service.

dont buy domains from godaddy, their service sucks, they ask you to pay for extra when it comes to domain related services. I bought my domain from them, so I know, namecheap.com might be better choice, I believe it gives you lots of more stuff besides the domain.

Ted

I have all my domains at GoDaddy and have had absolutely no problems.

When you bought your hosting from the hosting provider, they should have told you the names of the DNS servers to use. Got into godaddy.com and get to the details for your domain. In the display you should see the current DNS Servers listed, click on those and change them to the names given to you by your hosting company. Once this change is done, your domain name should resolve to your site. It may take a few days for the change to propagate through the Internet.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.