Transferring Licence, etc

redbullmarky

Hi all.

A friend of mine has a computer running XP Home, which came pre-installed. He got it from his sister who does not have the disks that came with the computer. The licence key is stuck to the computer. Just before the login prompt, his computer reboots, regardless of whether trying to run in safe mode or not. (ie, exhaused all the startup options). Notably, the computer threw a wobbly after trying to do a Windows Update, and even removing the updates now have no effect.

I have a PC with a FULL version of Windows XP Professional which I bought seperately about 18 months back. I'm looking at switching to Linux.

My questions:

1, does anyone have any ideas of what maybe wrong, and how you can fix a computer that has no original disks that cant even get into Windows in safe mode.

2, can I use my XP Pro disks to repair his computer without falling short of activation issues?

3, If I'm going over to Linux and therefore wont have a need for my Windows XP, does anyone know how easy it is to get set up on another comp (ie, transfer the licence)?

4, I'm off on my travels to visit him tomorrow to try and fix the issue(s). I'm thinking (from Google) that it maybe a virus. I'm taking along my copy of Windows XP Pro. I would normally consider making a floppy boot disk, only my comp doesnt have a floppy drive, just a CD R/W. I can't take an internet connection for granted, so anything else to make sure it's not a wasted journey?

For any help on any of the above i'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Mark

I have worked with the technical support Hp for an yr..so frm the type of issues i have seen..you can recover the os by a non destructive recovery process..can do that without the disks

U eed to use the F10 key while bootin up..keep tappin on the key till u get a recovery screen..and follow the instructions

Sounds like there is a problem with the boot record...

Put in your XP pro disk, when it asks you to install [Enter], Repair [R], or exit press R for recovery. When you get all the way through that you should be at a C prompt. Type in "fixboot" (no quotes) then "y", when that finishes type in "fixmbr" then "y". After this completes type in "exit" to reboot the computer. It should now reboot and load windows as it is supposed to.

Also take a look @ http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console

You will not be able to fix a Windows XP Home installation using your Windows XP Pro CD, and you will run into activation issues if you do a fresh install. If you install XP Pro in his computer, you'll need to call Microsoft and go through their telephone activation process (very quick, usually takes about five mins), and explain to them that you've uninstalled it from the original computer and installed it on the new one. If you haven't actually uninstalled it, don't worry - they can't, or don't, check. I've done it several times. :x

As for making the actual transfer, in section 4 of Microsoft's Windows XP Professional EULA, it is specified that the owner of the Windows XP Pro license may make a one-time transfer to a third party, under these terms:

The initial user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user. The transfer has to include all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms.

So, technically, and to make it easier on everybody, you'll need/want to give him the sticker from your case. (Remove it carefully, or at least write down the key and make sure your friend puts it in a safe place.) All it takes is the above-mentioned call to Microsoft and typing an activation key, and your friend should be good to go. You should know that they will ask you what happened, and will ask you how many computers it's installed on.

Attached is a PDF of the full Microsoft Windows XP EULA.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You don't need to re-install it to run the recovery console though. Using an XP pro disk on a Home version will allow you to the recovery console (actually i just did it an hour ago). I think you should start with that before you start re-installing anything.

yeah. from past experience, it's extremely rare to need to do a totally clean install, whatever the circumstances, although sometimes it's the easiest option ;D

so the recovery console - would that be more for "saving" data, or repairing? considering that i'd be repairing a Home version with a Pro CD and wishing to (ideally) keep both licences intact. I've never personally had to use the recovery console before and, as I'll prob be without a net connection (and hence no Google to get additional help) the simpler it is the better.

Neal - thanks for the details. Failing all of the above, that might just be a bit handy. In Microsofts defence, I've actually spoken to them on support before and they're (at least in the UK) nothing short of fantastic.

Cheers all so far.

You don't need to re-install it to run the recovery console though. Using an XP pro disk on a Home version will allow you to the recovery console (actually i just did it an hour ago). I think you should start with that before you start re-installing anything.

I've never tried the recovery console, the only thing I've ever tried was the "Repair this Windows installation" option, and that's what my comment above is referring to - apologies for any confusion.

(Am I correct in that you cannot just Repair a Windows XP Home installation with an XP Pro disc, or am I way off the mark?)

And regarding Microsoft's tech support in the US: I'm not a fan of Microsoft, their software, or their business strategies, but their tech support is top-notch. In all other cases, I dread calling tech support, but Microsoft has made the tech support experience pleasant again.

(Am I correct in that you cannot just Repair a Windows XP Home installation with an XP Pro disc, or am I way off the mark?)

Sometime you can...it depends on how the system was set up. I just did it a few hours ago on a XP Home version and I used my Pro disk. Worked ok for me :)

According to MS you are allowed to borrow friends' copies of Windows. At least so did a senior support technician tell a guy I've about on Digg (I can't find it). He had a Vista upgrade edition, but he did a full/clean install with it (which he was able to), but then the key didn't work (said that the key would only work for a system that had been updated). Guy called MS support. MS support told him that he could borrow a friends copy of Windows XP and then upgrade from that or even go download some of the cracks available online. MS support even gave a name on a specific crack.

For point 4: You could just make a boot CD, I'm sure you both got a CD drive and that you have a CD burner.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.