[SOLVED] Web Developer Job

JustinM01

Hi everyone. First off, I hope this is the right forum section for this. If it is not, than, point me towards the right one.

Moving on, I'm going to be sending my resume to a web development company and I was wondering what the salary range is for the position. The position is for an entry level PHP/MySQL developer and is in the Boston area. Obviously, my request might seem a bit premature as I haven't even sent my resume yet. However, the company has already expressed a desire to talk to me after seeing some sample code I had provided. I just want to have some information ready if I do in fact get an interview.

As far as my experience, I haven't been programming in PHP for very long, I'd say about off and on for a year. I also have about the same amount of time in MySQL.

So, again, my question is what would be an approximate salary range for this kind of position and my (limited for the most part) knowledge of PHP and MySQL?

Any help is appreciated,

Justin

Is it contract or full time ?

This is probably your most important question to answer when seeking a salary range. If you're wanting to see average income in a given area of the country, check out Salary.com. I ran a web developer check in Boston, and here is what I found. This is for the 02101 zip code, but there will be little, if any, flux between local zip codes. Basically, you'd be looking at $60K as a low end (about 15th percentile). The range in that area is between $55K and $95K per year for a full time. Keep in mind that this is an estimate base salary range. Benefits and other compensation packages are typically figured on top of this.

Hope this helps give you some direction.

I guess... the crazy thing is that you don't have to have a degree, necessarily, to do web design.  You just have to have a decent portfolio.  And normally, it's the paperwork that gets you the cash.

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

Anyways, it is a full time position. Their description of the job states that beginning pay is around $33k, the company is located around 40 miles north of Boston, MA. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the replies btw.

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

Anyways, it is a full time position. Their description of the job states that beginning pay is around $33k, the company is located around 40 miles north of Boston, MA. Any thoughts on that?

As ober said, at entry level, that may be well within what you could expect to get. It's a tough call, though. My biggest question for them at that level would be: how quickly can you expect to be up for review and able to move up in the bands? As long as there is a high opportunity for advancement and you are able to move up fairly quickly, that really may not be a bad start for entry level. Really hard to say, though, since I'm not familiar with living expenses, etc. in that area.

As ober said, at entry level, that may be well within what you could expect to get. It's a tough call, though. My biggest question for them at that level would be: how quickly can you expect to be up for review and able to move up in the bands? As long as there is a high opportunity for advancement and you are able to move up fairly quickly, that really may not be a bad start for entry level. Really hard to say, though, since I'm not familiar with living expenses, etc. in that area.

That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to get some other input. Thanks to everyone who posted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.