how php is beter than jsp ?

adesh.khare

PHP is not better than JSP.  JSP is not better than PHP.  Now that that is out of the way here are some of the reasons they are different.

1) PHP can run on a standard webserver i.e., Apache either as a module or via CGI.  Java requires a special servlet container which adheres to the servlet spec i.e., Tomcat, JBoss, etc...  PHP is much more popular than JSP in smaller sites because most Hosting services provide Apache and not Tomcat.

2) PHP is strictly interpreted.  Java is compiled to byte code then interpreted by a Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

3) PHP scripts end at the end of each HTTP request / response cycle.  Java objects can persist between requests through the servlet container.

4) Java forces you to use objects (even if you strictly use JSPs they are converted to objects behind the scenes).  PHP does not.

5) PHP provides native MySQL support.  Java does not.

I'm sure that others will have more to add to this list.  These are what I could come up with off of the top of my head.

Best,

Patrick

Why the question? No language is better than the next. It is all about user preference.

If you need a very powerful language, Perl is your guy. If you want one that is easily setup and widely used, well PHP it is.

If you like Micro$oft well than ASP .NET, VB .NET and C# are your guys.

If you love Java than JSP would be your man.

All about user preference, I prefer PHP and PERL over others. Simple fact, they are very easy to setup and there are a ton of scripts/help to be had.

The best programming language is the one the suites the jobs needs the best.. while many languages can do the same thing theirs normally atleast one factor that decides a better language it may be expandbility, performance, compaiability, development time(cost), or language requirements (cost hardware/software)

Oh spaghetti...

Why the question? No language is better than the next. It is all about user preference.

If you need a very powerful language, Perl is your guy. If you want one that is easily setup and widely used, well PHP it is.

If you like Micro$oft well than ASP .NET, VB .NET and C# are your guys.

If you love Java than JSP would be your man.

All about user preference, I prefer PHP and PERL over others. Simple fact, they are very easy to setup and there are a ton of scripts/help to be had.

leave it too frost to discuss his preferences of men:P

Well technically nobody really will say one language is better than the other, but some languages have more "popularity" than others.

For example, after doing research on languages right before I decided to pick my primary.

I found out some were far more popular than others. I found this out by seeing how many projects would be available for each language, how many site's used each one, adn more importantly graphs and grids of peoples opinions.

It seemed to fall in pretty much the following order of popularity.

This is only taking in server side languages, it's not even mentioning higher level languages like java, perl, or python.  When I was looking I was only interested in picking up a server side at the time, but this list is generally the way I categorized it based on popularity.

The main reason I noticed that php gained more popularity than ASP overall was because PHP is free.  It's also easier to use (That part is pretty much based on opinion).

PHP

ASP

JSP/Coldfusion // about the same

Server Side Javascript

JSP/Coldfusion // about the same

Server Side Javascript

(slaps forehead)

There is something called "Server side javascript": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server-side_JavaScript

I must admit that I've never heard about it before though. I'd rather not use it though, as I, based on my limited Javascript knowledge, believe that it is far less powerfull than e.g. PHP and ASP.

leave it too frost to discuss his preferences of men:P

Don't you know it =)

You may want to look into JavaScript more if you think it is not powerful. As for the server-side scripting part of it I am not sure, never used it. But JavaScript on the client side, wow!

And Javascript is actually very powerful. Do not underestimate it. Without Javascript, applications like Google Maps, GMail, or any interactive items you see on webpages today would not be possible.

Javascript was the first language I learned and I am glad I learned it, it has a lot of functionality I could not live without.

As for coldfusion, could there be any more of a joke out there ??? =)

You may want to look into JavaScript more if you think it is not powerful. As for the server-side scripting part of it I am not sure, never used it. But JavaScript on the client side, wow!

And Javascript is actually very powerful. Do not underestimate it. Without Javascript, applications like Google Maps, GMail, or any interactive items you see on webpages today would not be possible.

Javascript was the first language I learned and I am glad I learned it, it has a lot of functionality I could not live without.

I was talking about server-side. Applications like Google Maps use Javascript on client-side.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.