need some mobo help...

ardyandkari

hi.

i am building a computer...i want it fast, REAL fast...

i am currently selecting the parts to buy and cant be sure that i have the right mobo for the job.

i am going to have an amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor...the mobo i was going to get is the  GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4, but i cant find the processor on the compatibility list.  it ends at the 5000+.  will the mobo work?  or do i need to get one with the 6000+ listed???

here is the setup:

GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4

GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

600W Power Supply

4 GB (4 1GB Sticks) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor

Windows XP

also the normal drives, case etc.

any ideas on what i should do?  or what mobo to buy?

thanks

When I built my last system I opted for 2 of the smaller WD 10K RPM raptor drives and set them up in a RAID stripe.  So my system only has 140 GB of storage, only ~60 of which is ever occupied, but HDD access is fast.

Long story short, I recommend 10K RPM drives.

When I built my last system I opted for 2 of the smaller WD 10K RPM raptor drives and set them up in a RAID stripe.  So my system only has 140 GB of storage, only ~60 of which is ever occupied, but HDD access is fast.

Long story short, I recommend 10K RPM drives.

Aren't they SCSI discs?

Just a tip: If you are getting 4GB or memory make sure you get Windows XP 64bit and not 32bit.

32bit can only "see" up to 3GB.

Also I have seen a lot of people recommend C2D over AMD X2. Go for an E6300, or the E6320 (if you want more cache) and overclock the pants of it, it'll love you :). C2D are so easy to OC. You can easily get 3.6Ghz out it - thats without OC'ing your ram.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.