GIF vs PNG

Trium918

google.com  :D

?

seems like a sensible question to me...

PNG's I generally find better, due to the fact that they tend to blend into their background better whereas GIF's kinda need to be tailored depending on the background and its colour. (or at least they do with my GIF's/PNG's ;) ).

The problem with PNG's is their support in IE6 and their background transparency. There are fixes of course, but they generally involve bits of javascript. If PNG support was spot on across all browsers, I'd use them 100% instead of GIF's.

I too use PNG's for icons. But over all I try and either use css/text to make buttons and links or else just use jpg's. There are way too many discrepancies between browsers for different transparencies...So I just don't deal with them unless I have to.

It depends on what you mean by "better", better for what?

The normal transparency works with IE 6 and below doesn't it? I thought it was just the alpha-transparency that was unsupported, though feel free to correct me if I'm talking out of my arse!

When picking what format I'm going to go with, in Photoshop (CS 2/3) I know there is a "Save for web" option, which I use, where you can display up to four previews of the image in different formats with different settings - I pick the format that offers the best combination of quality and filesize.

Mark, do you do your graphics work on a Mac by any chance? If so, take a look at this.

Use PNG for large images with transparencies that need high quality.

Use GIF for small files with or with out transparencies, or if it needs to be animated.

Use JPG for large photographic images with 257+ colors.

It all depends on what you are trying to do with the image, if it is a background patten, I would go with GIF,

if it is a portrait I would use JPG, and if it is a high quality fancy logo, I would go with PNG.

Currently I would stay away from PNG, since it is very hard to make the transparencies transparent in IE6, but it can be done.

I would just slice the images certain ways, so they could be saved as a GIF, and not be distorted a ton.

Check these out:

http://www.siriusweb.com/tutorials/gifvsjpg/

http://www.webwitchery.com/articles/format/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.