File Upload Options

Ninjakreborn

I want to create a flash upload system (easy).

I need a backend to process it (easy).

Last element is I want to have "drag and drop" usability.

I don't think this can be accomplished with PHP or Java Script.

I know it can be easily done with java, and I am wanting to create something to do this but the server the site is on is not in java.

What are my options.

I have heard that you can have java ran from one server to work properly.

Do I have any other options??

Sorry I left that part out.

Drag/Drop is easy with either flash or ajax.  Those are not problems.

It's the desktop drag/drop.

Basically dragging a file, or folder full of files into a draggable area on a site and it shows them as uploaded.

Afterwards they upload the files after they are done dragging/dropping (also hopefully it'lly support copy/paste)

I have seen A LOT of stuff on it but it's all on java and that server doesn't support java.

Are there any other options for that.

My two-cents:

As thorpe said, you'd have to build a drag and drop browser/java applet. Note: this java applet is client side. Java when run on the client has much more access to the local filesystem, and also can establish a connection to a php server side script.

So - what you need to do is to code a java applet which will allow you to drag and drop a file on the local computer, and then upload this file to a php (or other server side) script.

You do not need java on the server. I dont think it would even help. Java Applet on Client -> uploads -> server script (php etc.)

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.