[SOLVED] friends site

ardyandkari

hey, i am making a site for a good friend. he is selling air purifiers.  he has basically given me free reign on this site (it is the 2nd one i have done for him, and i also made changes on the other, so he trusts me ???)

now...remember, he is changing the company name, so the main header will change, so if that is a problem, just dont worry...i will be making a new one soon.

i have them on a domain of my own right now, but in the future it will be on his server with his own domain...just testing now... all basic html, just want ideas of how to change the layout graphically...

thinking of having an image randomizer in there for some change once in a while, but i dont know.

will also be putting in a shopping cart...found some easy stuff online, and it has everything that we will need, now just need to purchase

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

http://www.minnesotamomandpop.com/test/10600-02.htm

http://www.minnesotamomandpop.com/test/10600-02v2.htm

ardy

1) Don't put the specs in the column on the left.  That's where most people expect to find categories or links to other products.

2) Consider using tabs in the product area that will quickly swap in the specs/other images/etc.

3) Move it to a paid hosting site.  The ugly banner ad at the top will not fly on a professional site.

4) Use a footer.  The bottom of the site just drops off into nowhere.

5) List products on the left.

6) The menu isn't as visible as it probably should be.  It doesn't stand out and people will probably have to look longer than they should to find it.

7) The main logo image at the top is overpowering and not very professional looking.  The leaf is good... the "Products" part is good... the "Healthy Homes" part looks like something out of the late 90's.

That's probably enough to start on... post again when you have more content to show.

Unless you want your friend to hate you for getting his site delested from search engines, and especially Googlge for duplicate content, you should disallow test dir in your robots text!

User-Agent: *

Disallow: /cgi-bin/

I would also secure the directory with a password in htaccess, because many robots and crawlers do not respect the robots.txt derective!

So we do not want all the urls of the test site to be all over the Web, and when you move the pages to your friend's live domain their will be duplicate content pages!

So be nice, and play by Google Webmaster Guideliness.

<__>

Igor

Jcomb, I am sorry if you think my recommendation is off topic, but we are building Websites for the real world.

If the Webmaster is not interested in my recommendation, of avoiding duplicate content, he or she does not have to follow it.

Thank you,

Igor

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.